𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞

"and what exactly are you doin here?" he had began to say while i found it partially necessary to hide my cast behind my back.

i debated what i should say, pushing my pride aside so i didn't snap back at his bitchy comment.

"i was wondering if it was alright if i see steph? it's been a while and i just wanted to check in if that's okay with you, of course." i smiled hoping it wasn't all that obvious that it was fake.

he thought a moment, almost stumbling over his next words. i just hoped that they were nice, and maybe even gave me what i wanted while were at it.

"yeah, alright." he finished blankly, pushing open the door further so i could make my way in.

not for even a second did i forget to take off my shoes before entering. that's probably the biggest house rule. that and if your manners don't show up with you, you're more than bound to get kicked out.

he excused himself a moment to get stephane from upstairs, while my eyes wandered to the ceiling and the paintings that covered each blank space on the wall.

the ceilings were extremely high and a chandelier hung where the walls met at the very tippy top. the house was painted an elegant cream white, not a scuff mark visible to the naked eye.

admiring the house i wished everything that was mine, i sat down on the bench in the front room, crossing my legs and fixing my jeans.

i mean it was real pretty and all, but houses like this go straight to your head. all the money you have practically turns you insane. you start to buy stupid things like this dog sculpture that sat on the chair beside me. or you purchase the work and labor of the maids who hurriedly offered me a snack while i wait. maybe even the light sculptures that hung above my head. nothing in this house was necessary, but thats what made it so beautiful.

everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants what it turns you into.

i heard a patter of footsteps from down the hall and a small voice that screamed my name. raising myself up from the seat, i turned the corner of the hallway and squatted down to my knees.

such a small body came running into my arms as i held her close to me, almost afraid to let go.

"i've missed you!" she squealed in my arms, holding tight to my grasp.

"not nearly as much as i've missed you." i smiled into her shoulder before she got the opportunity to pull away and plant a kiss on my forehead.

still with her arms around my shoulders, i began to stand up, pulling her along with me. now that she was secured on my hip, i followed her fathers gaze into the living room and set her down on the couch, soon to sit next to her.

"go play with your toys." he had politely demanded, pointing towards the playhouse that sat in the living room, next to the grand black piano with its playing stool.

"so, how are things?" he asked, crossing his arms above his chest while sitting on the velvet red arm chair. it perfectly matched the aesthetic of the house, providing such a beautiful accent piece.

"it actually seems to be going well." i lied with a simple smile that seemed to conceal my emotions just enough to prove my point.

"what about that kid that was all over the news?" he asked, more of an interrogation then anything else.

"um, he's still dead." i chuckled nervously, kind of getting angry at the fact that someone who didn't even know him had to courage to bring him up.

god, i cant believe i just said that.

he just nodded his head and hummed something under his breath as i went quickly to change the topic at hand before he could.