35.

The elevator ride seemed to go on for longer than usual. Of course, it didn't help that there was deathly silence between Abimbola and Sera. Sera's head was filled with confusing thoughts. What the hell had just happened back there? Who was that lady? She had spoken of a fiancé, but who was her fiancé? Surely it couldn't be Abimbola. Surely Abimbola would've told her about something that big. 

Sera was sure that the silence would continue, and she desperately needed it to stop because her head was exploding with questions. It was only after what seemed like the longest time, that Abimbola turned towards her and said:

"So...I see the sun is out today."

Sera kept quiet, mostly because she didn't know what to say. She had known one of them was going to break the silence at some point or the other, but she hadn't anticipated how awkward the silence-breaking conversation had the potential to be. 

"The weather", Abimbola added, offering a misplaced smile. "It's nice."

"You're talking to me about the weather?"

"Yeah, Sera. I guess I am."

"Okay. the weather is nice."

Then there was silence again.

"She likes you, you know."

Sera looked up, confusion visibly evident on her face.

"Who?"

"Nala. She likes you. She just has a strange way of showing her affection. But give her time, she will grow on you."

What the fuck? What kind of sick game is this?

"Your fiancé likes me?"

It was a long shot, but she needed to know if Abimbola and Nala were together. She needed to know if Abimbola was the fiancé Nala spoke of. 

"Yes. Very much."

What the fuck? He's not even going to try and deny it!?

"Okay...and what the fuck am I supposed to do with that information, Abimbola? Fill out a formal application for a threesome?"

He chuckled nonchalantly, and then turned towards her, hands in pockets. "You seem to have a lot to say today"

"You know what?", Sera retorted, reaching for the big, red elevator button and pushing it, bringing the whole elevator to a stop. "I do have a lot to say, actually."

"Yeah?", he smirked. 

"Yeah! I think you are vile, absolutely vile!"

"Me?"

"Yes, you! Who else?! I can't believe you! The nerve of you to try and double play me! You told me about your dead fiancé, but what about the living one, huh? Was it all just a stupid joke to you!!? What the fuck is wrong with you!?"

She paced up and down, running a cheeky hand through her hair. Then, as soon as she saw just how much he was enjoying her little rant, she forced herself to calm down and compose herself. She took a deep breath in, paced her way over to him and sighed exhaustedly. " What the fuck do you want from me, Abimbola? Why are you here?"

"I live here."

"No, I mean, why are you here with me and not inside with her?"

He didn't offer any response, which only aided in frustrating her even more. 

"Answer me, Abimbola! It's the least you can do!"

He took his time before answering: "Because, Sera. I want to be here...with you"

But, his uneasiness only managed to throw her off her game. 

"Right", she replied softly and defeatedly, reaching back to push the elevator button. She was tired of his mind games, and just wanted to go back home and try to rest. 

"I can't stop thinking about you, Sera", he remarked, before her finger could reach the red button. "I haven't been able to get you out of my head since the day I met you."

Her features softened, as a warmth coursed through her insides. She commanded her mouth to shout: 

'Get away from me, you vile creature!', but was surprised when her own voice betrayed her. "But what about Nala? Your fiancé", she found herself saying. Her voice came out sounding way too feminine,  brittle and vulnerable and she hated every moment of it. 

He ran a hand through his hair, a look of concern written all over his features. It was only after the longest second, when he finally turned back around to face her, his usually intense brown eyes the softest and most vulnerable looking she had ever seen them. 

"You are absolutely right, Sera. Nala is my fiance, and this doesn't change that. But, I would be lying to you if I said we were in love. Nala is one of my best friends. But her and I? We are definitely not in love."

***