Chapter Four

SAMUAL
BLACKWELL

"The pools' running fine right?" I carried myself up the steps, pulling my book-bag strap off my shoulder, and tossing the bag aside at the end of my bed. I was all sticky and sweaty, and a quick dip didn't hurt anybody.

"It should be fine Sammy, give me your dirty clothes," my mother came up behind me with the hamper, and I suggested I take it downstairs, but she shook her head and snatched the clothes from my hands. Barreling down the hall to
My sisters room.

I swear that woman never liked asking for help, and when she did, she made it about yourself. I love my mother, but sometimes it can be a pain dealing with her bull.

I shut my bedroom door, discarding my worn out baggy sweats, and extra large T-shirt for swim shorts. I shimmed them on, and grabbed a beach towel from the hallway closet.

I almost forgot about the flimsy, unfitted, pair of glasses sitting on the bridge of my nose. I swung the towel over my shoulder, and wondered if my sisters were interested in a quick dip.
"Joe, Mel, you up for the pool?" I peeked my head into their shared bedroom. It was like looking into a cliche image of split personalities based off different sides of the room. Although Joanns hair did not match the images on the wall, and color wardrobe, it matched her personality well.

She's the type to stay laid back, and it's charming, but it has its set backs. "So?" I cocked a brow, and Melissa picked up her head. "What?"

I shook my head but snickered as I retreated from their bedroom before I started doubting my own person.

"I'll join you soon, I need something to wind down." Joann peeked her head out from the doorframe, and I looked back to give her affirmative nod. She smiled, stepping back into her room and shutting the door behind her.

"Thanks!" I said over my shoulder, and headed back downstairs to get to the back. I'm sure I'll run into mom, if so maybe I'll ask her what was for dinner.

I waltzed into the kitchen, mom was absent so I'm assuming she's doing the laundry still, so I pondered out the back doors. The air was hot, and uncomfortable on my skin. Later in the day I learned it just go worst, and by evening it definitely got significantly cooler, but the warmth still lingered like a wet fart.

"Let's hope I don't drown." I shut the back door behind me and threw the towel on a vacant chair, that I haven't seen before. It looks comfortable, maybe I'll sit my fat ass in it, and spoil moms fun.
Cause I knew damn well mom got most the objects loitering around the rooms that were supposed to feel like home, were most definitely not meant for us.

I rounded the side of the pool, and wondered if I could get the tube to fit on the slide winding down into the pool. Nah, I'll just go head first into the deep end.

I reached the diving board on steady feet, and even gave the board a resounding bounce, seemed steady enough.

"Hey Jack ass!" Just when I was just to leap off into the waters depths, I slipped, and nearly chopped my ankle on the diving boards edge. I neared the sting on my right calf, peeking past my eyelashes as I looked up.

There stood Melissa, well it looked like melissa. Unless Joann decided she wanted to be the ugly one in the family. I resurfaced, and splashed Melissa in the process of swinging my arms free.
"Ew!"

"It's water.. are you serious? And you had the audacity to startle the shit outta me.." I wiped my face, trying to free any lingering water droplets hanging on my eyelashes.

"What's so wrong with a little prank—"
"Swim peasant!" Joann appeared behind Melissa, and even surprised me when she sent Melissa into the water— and with her phone. Shit.

"Joe, she has her phone.." I turned around while I hung on the edge, soaring Joann a glance and she merely shrugged. "She just texts on it, plus, nothing a little rice can't fix." Joann ignored my concern as Melissa resurfaced screeching, demanding Joann buy her a new phone.

"I mean, you could've gotten Sam seriously hurt." Joanna shrugged again, and showed little sign of concern and more of indifference.

"So?! This my phone—"
"You can't replace someone's life, dumbass." Joann crossed her arms over her chest, and stepped onto the diving board once Melissa started swimming closer to the shallow waters.

Damn, even I was speechless. Joann has shown concern in the past, and sometimes people mistook it for sarcasm because she looked the total opposite of concerned.
"Thanks," I turned towards the edge of the pool, and rest my chin on my arms.

Maybe I should just wear the usual, but something less appealing. I guess I should give them something— no, plus I can get down with hammy downs. It's like wearing Pajamas to school. Mom didn't seem all too upset about to, and speaking of mother, I'm hoping to catch her and ask about baseball.

After dinner works I guess.

"No problem, i guess." I know where she gets that from now.

I did in fact, sit in that new chair.
_

"Dinners ready!" I got up from the chair I was sitting in, and excused myself from the video chat, which was in fact Vanessa, an childhood friend from my old school.

"'Ight, take care of yourself homie." She signed off, and I stopped myself from saying anything else. I shut my lab top off, and made my way downstairs. I met up with Joann at the stairs.

"How's Mel taking it?" I lifted a single brow, "she isn't acting her age, I guess she's reacting as anyone else should."

"Hm.." I just hummed, thinking back earlier this evening when we all came in, and Melissa went off in a whole rant about Joann breaking her phone. Mom didn't do much, except lecture Joann about respecting another's things, and left out the part where Melissa could've crippled me. Yea, it's all good.

I might've not cared, but I sure as hell care about my mothers reaction.

"Sit, let us pray, and dig in!"

I wasn't much for praying, and believing in the Bible, yet I learned I few things. I know a few things. I didn't practice, and I knew I could never. I just never found a religion I could depend on, or learn from.

I kind of like the aspect of reading up on all religions, because they all have something to teach.

Mom has never pushed Christianity onto us, but never outwardly supported anything Christianity discriminated against. At first she seemed pretty hardcore, and I was starting to believe she'd completely rely on the Bible to decide for who she is.

I think my whole situation and few months back kind of opened her eyes to a new world or perspective.

Let's just pray she thinks playing baseball again is a good idea.

_

So how was it? :]
Unedited btw!