Chapter 2

Monica Bouvier

“Talia, wake up!” I yelled at the sleeping girl. It was five a.m., and I was bored. Talia stirred in her sleep and slapped my hand away from her shoulder.

“Leave me alone,” she muttered, burying her face into her pillow. Oh well, I tried. Liana wouldn’t get up either, and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to disturb a monster that early in the morning. Aleka and Mackenzie would be awake, I hoped. Still wearing my pajamas, I walked over to Aleka and Mackenzie’s room, where I could hear faint music through the door.

Aleka has to have her music.

I knocked, which was followed by a “Come in.” The door opened and I squinted. The blinds were pulled to the side and Mackenzie was watching television, while Aleka was in the bathroom doing her hair. They were both still in their pajamas, looking happier than ever.

“What should I do with my hair, Mon?” Aleka called, seeing me in the mirror. I shrugged and sat on her bed as I stared up at the ceiling.

“I dunno. Maybe clip it up with a flower? Like the orange one you had done over Skype the other day?” I suggested. She shrugged and clipped the flower pin to her hair.

“Hey guys,” Talia said, walking in as she rubbed her eyes. She closed the door behind her, so we wouldn’t wake Liana.

“Look who decided to wake up,” I said with an annoyed look on my face. Talia looked stunned, scared even, so I just burst out laughing to make the awkward moment go away. She just shrugged and sat next to Mackenzie, becoming mesmerized by the television. I stared out the window and looked at the London street below. Aleka, who was now sitting next to me, suddenly held up her index finger and arched her eyebrows, as if trying to focus on something. “What?”

“I hear something. Mackenzie, mute the telly,” Aleka said, and Mackenzie did so. We all directed our attention to the door, where the noise was coming from. Talia got up and opened the door, where we all heard what we’d been expecting this morning.

“I’M HUNGRY!” Liana’s voice was repeating over and over again. Mackenzie rolled her eyes and went out into the hallway to open the door that Talia and I shared with Liana. We found Liana on her stomach on the floor, kicking and punching.

“Liana, it’s five a.m.!” I exclaimed. She didn’t seem to care. She got up and pushed past me, running to the living room.

“I don’t care, I’m getting food,” she replied, grabbing her phone off the table and walking to the door.

“Liana, wait! We need to change first!” Talia said, blocking the door with her own body. Liana grabbed hold of her shoulder and pushed her to the floor.

“Who gives a shit if we go in our pajamas?” she said, walking out the door. Mackenzie and I shared a glance as Aleka helped Talia off the ground. We grabbed our phones and ran off in the direction Liana had gone.

At one point, we lost her as she rounded a corner. “Where’d she go!?” Aleka exclaimed.

Talia pointed to the left, where we could see Liana’s pink flannel shorts in the dim early morning light. Mackenzie sprinted towards her with us hot on her heels. We yelled her name a couple times, making some people look out of their apartment windows, probably thinking, Who’s bloody yelling at five a.m.?

Finally, we got to a restaurant, that we found Liana inside of. She was already ordering. “Well, since we’re here, I’ll have something to eat,” I announced, ordering as well.

A blonde haired boy was at the counter, paying for a chocolate muffin. That, apparently, was what Liana had ordered.

“What do you mean there’s no more!?” she exclaimed.

“The baker doesn’t get here ‘till ten, dear. We just sold the last muffin to the young lad over there,” the cashier replied, pointing at the blonde haired boy. Then, Liana did the unthinkable. She stomped over to the boy and tapped him on his shoulder, making him turn around, surprised.

“You took my muffin!” she said, pointing at the chocolate muffin in the boy’s hands. He was wearing sunglasses. Who would wear sunglasses at five a.m. in the morning? Apparently he does…

“I did not!” he said, his reply in an obvious Irish accent. “I got this first!”

“Liana...” Aleka said, a dazed look on her face.

“No, Aleka!” Liana shouted back. “I will have my muffin!”

“What’s going on, Nia- I mean Nick?” a brown haired boy said as he came by. He was also wearing sunglasses. “Is there a problem?”

“This boy,” Liana said through gritted teeth, pointing at the blonde haired one, “Took my muffin!”

“Liana, that’s-“ Aleka began, but was silenced by Mackenzie, who put a hand over her mouth. I was confused. What’s going on? Well, Liana must have her food no matter what. I had learned that the day I met her in the first year of primary school.

“I’m terribly sorry,” Talia said, pushing Liana away to face the two boys. “My friend here gets really cranky when she doesn’t eat, and she hasn’t eaten in what,” Talia looked to face us. “Eight hours?”

I nodded in reply. That’s when I noticed the blonde haired boy take off his sunglasses. He looked extremely familiar- wait, that’s Niall Horan!!! He had a smirk on his face, his hand outstretched in greeting.

“I like your attitude,” he said to Liana. “I’m Niall, by the way.”

I looked to Liana, who looked as if all the blood had been drained away from her face. “L-Liana. My name’s Liana.” She took his outstretched hand with her own trembling hand. It was only yesterday that she had called Niall a “sexy blonde.”

“And I’m Liam,” the brown haired boy said, outstretching his hand out to Talia. “Don’t worry, I would’ve done the same if Niall had said that to a stranger.”

Talia looked unfazed. She shook Liam’s hand. He took off his glasses, revealing his chocolate brown eyes. “I’m Talia, and that’s Mackenzie, Monica, and Aleka.”

“Nice to meet you all,” Liam said with a smile. “Would you care to have breakfast with us, if you don’t mind?”

“Sure,” Mackenzie said automatically. Niall and Liam led us to a table, where they were sitting alone. Zayn, Harry, and Louis were probably asleep.

“Are you guys fans?” Niall said as we got our ordered food. By now, he had split the muffin with Liana.

“Actually, we just found out about you yesterday,” Aleka said. A dark haired boy opened the door of the restaurant, coming towards our table. He, too, was wearing sunglasses. As soon as he saw Liam and Niall with them off, he took them off too.

“Erm, hello,” he said, sitting next to Aleka. Aleka was staring at him in shock. I wanted to laugh at the surprised expression on her face. “Niall, Liam, do you want to introduce me to these girls?”

“Oh,” Niall said with his mouth full. “That’s Mackenzie, Monica, Talia, Liana, and Aleka.” I noticed he emphasized Liana’s name, making her blush.

“Well, then,” Zayn said, taking a piece of bread from the basket in the middle of the table. “It’s nice to meet you all, at about five thirty in the morning.”

“Nice to meet you too,” Aleka said in a crackled voice, making Zayn smile. She blushed, looking down at her feet. “Sorry, morning voice.”

That sent us all into laughter, for absolutely no reason. It was five a.m., and we probably looked like crazies packed in a restaurant.

It didn’t matter, however, for we were meeting some very special people…