Prologue

Hey guys:) This is what got deleted a few months back... If it's not totally the same, I apologize. I might have tweaked it a couple times, but whatever. Here's It's Complicated!

Liana Aslin

"Relax, Liana! It's just the first year of college," Aleka said, her face on my computer screen. Skyping was the closest thing Aleka, Monica, Talia, Mackenzie, and I had next to real life. The five of us had met in the first year of secondary school at the English school, Haberstock, in Camden as exchange students from all over the world. You see, there was a Haberstock School here in Sweden, where we were required to learn English. There was also one in Spain, where Aleka's from, Austria, where Talia's from, Italy, where Mackenzie's from, and France, where Monica's from.

After that first year, we kept in touch. This year was the first year of college, and our parents had just decided to send us to Cambridge together for a new experience.

"But it's England!" I replied to Aleka. She shook her head as she put one last garment in her suitcase. You see, we were all departing for England tomorrow. We would meet at the airport in London, which Cambridge was not too far from.

"Alright, Liana," Aleka said with a sigh. "I think we both need some sleep. It's ten o'clock at night."

"Alright, bye then," I said, and hung up the Skype call. After finishing off packing my clothing in the suitcases, I grabbed my toiletry bag and went to the bathroom to pack.

"You going to miss me?" my older brother, Alex said, holding out his arms. I shook my head and slapped his arm away, for he was blocking the bathroom. I swept my dirty blonde hair to one shoulder and made a mental note to take a shower in the morning before the plane ride.

"You should be moved out by now, Alex," I told my brother, who was four years older than me as I put some hair products and toothpaste in the bag. "But yes, you will be missed."

"You're saying that as if I'll be a dead man tomorrow," he said, blocking the doorway yet again. I had finished packing everything by now.

"You will be, if you don't stop blocking my way!" I shouted over my shoulder as I pushed him out of the way and went back to my pink bedroom. I heard Alex laughing in the other room as I laid out the stretchy pants and comfortable v-neck with a pair of uggs on my desk chair for tomorrow morning.

"You all ready for tomorrow, Hun?" my mother asked, coming in with the house phone. "Your father's on the line." My father was in a business trip in some other town that I hadn't heard of before. Mother handed me the phone and I began to talk with my father.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" my fathers voice rang through the phone. "I'm going to miss you when I get home."

"Yes, I'm ready," I said. "It shouldn't be any different than last time, Dad."

"Alright, Liana, I've got to go to a meeting, don't be up too long! Love you," Dad said.

"Love you too," I replied, and handed the phone back to my mother, where she began to talk to my father a bit more. I changed into a pair of flannel shorts and stripped down to a tank top. I put my dirty blonde hair into a side braid and lay in bed with the thought of what it would be like to be back in England, with my four best friends. It was then that I realized that sleep wasn't the best option for me in the state I was in, so I logged back onto Skype to see if Monica, Mackenzie, or Talia was online, knowing Aleka was already asleep.

Sure enough, Talia was on. I pressed the video call button, and after a few rings, she answered.

"Good evening, Liana," Talia said, her face showing up on my laptop screen. "You look worried, what's up?"

"The night sky, Talia," I told her, but then she scowled at me. I laughed and explained that going back to England wasn't the same as it was four the other four of them, since they had gone by themselves and I had gone with my parents.

"Oh, I see," Talia said, and I heard a crying from the room. "Sorry, Brett's in a bad mood." She spoke of her youngest brother, Brett, who was three years old. Her other brother, who was the middle child, was Aaron. He was only two years younger than both Talia and I.

"It's alright," I said, and she left for a moment, coming back with the dark haired and blue eyed infant on her lap. "What time is your flight?"

"Seven, which means I have to be up at five," Talia said witha groan. She set Brett down, who immediately ran out the door. "See? He hates me."

"He does not hate you!" I told her.

"Machen Sie sich bereit für Bett, Talia!" Talia's mother said in German.

"Nur eine Minute! Brett lief irgendwo!" Talia yelled back. "I've got to go, Liana. Mother's telling me to go to bed."

"Alright, bye," I said, and hung up, hoping someone else was also online. Sure enough, Monica was. She was always online on Skype. I pressed the video call button and she answered quickly.

"Hallå, Liana," Monica said. I'd taught her how to say hello in Swedish, and now she wouldn't stop using the darn word.

"Bonjour, Monica," I replied in French. "Are you done packing?"

"Nah," she replied, shaking her head with a smile and her voice rising a few octaves. "I will, though. I'm such a procrastinator!"

I laughed, seeing Monica was still the same since the last time I’d seen her. “So, what are you doing?”

“Emailing,” Monica replied. She was always on her computer. “Sending out those last minute letters to let them know I’ll be attending school there.”

“That was due yesterday!” I told her, remembering that I had mailed them out too. She just laughed and shook her head, knowing how much of a perfectionist I could be at times.

“Avez-vous terminé l'emballage?” Monica’s mom said in French, as she poked her head through the open door. “Votre grand-père est là pour dire au revoir”

“Presque, là dans une minute,” Monica replied, still typing away at her computer. Monica’s mom left the room.

“You need to go?” I asked, yawning. Monica sadly nodded, finally done typing on her laptop.

“And apparently so do you. Bonne nuit- I mean good night,” Monica said. I hung up with a tired laugh. Mackenzie wasn’t on tonight. Probably a bit worried as to tomorrow’s outcome. I couldn’t blame her. I’d be that nervous too, but being who I am, I don’t sleep early. I signed off of Skype and sat at the corner of the bed, staring at the ceiling.

“redo för sängen, pumpa?” my mother came in asking in Swedish Ready for bed, pumpkin?

“Ja, se dig på morgonen,” I replied. Yes, see you in the morning.

Mother left the room, so I lay under the covers in bed, both excited and nervous for the outcome of the day ahead.