twelve

"Fucking Pheasant!"

"He's back." Ada said letting go of the curtain which was giving her the view of Tommy on his horse.

"Was he out there all night?" Micheal questioned, worrying for the well-being of his cousin.

"Every night since the funeral." Octavia sighed. She'd hadn't gone back to London since she first came down for the wedding as too many events kept on happening, so she was staying in Tommy's house. "Comes back in the morning to see Charles, and feed the horses, and when it gets dark he goes off again."

"He used to sleep out there when he was a kid." Polly said smiling at the memory. "Curly would find him in the pasture." She put down her news paper to fully focus on Ada. "How's the baby?"

"He asks for his mum at night." Ada said not wanting to get into too much detail. She crossed the room picking up papers. "Tommy made a list. He wants to see you three first."

"What about John and Arthur?" Polly asked confused, this was supposed to be a family meeting.

Tommy burst through the door not acknowledging any of them, walking straight into his office.

Ada ushered the three of them into the room. They sat down silently waiting for Tommy as he scribbled down words on a page.

"How are the books?" He eventually asked.

"Unaffected."

"Up slightly." Micheal said with a small smile. Tommy stopped writing but didn't look at any of them. "There's also been a threefold increase in donations to the Shelby foundation charity. The councillor suggested naming the new school 'The Grace Shelby institute'"  Micheal finished as Tommy dabbed out his cigarette.

"Tell the counsellor the name "Grace Shelby Institute' is acceptable to us." Tommy spoke up moving his pen away. His voice was drained and raspy.

Octavia, Micheal and Polly all exchanged a glance before Tommy handed Micheal and Polly a list of things to do.

"That's all." Tommy cleared his throat as Micheal Polly and Octavia rose from their seats. "Octavia stay." He said and she immediately sat back down.

"Tommy"

"That's all Pol." Tommy dismissed her and she reluctantly left, pausing at the door before shaking her head and leaving for good.

It was silent as Tommy rustled  through his draws, waiting for the boys to come in. Octavia watched his every move as he suddenly flipped a pile of papers up into the air. He wiped his eyes before muttering "here we fucking go" as the boys entered the room.

"There he is, Hi Tom." Arthur said in an attempt to lift his brothers mood, whilst slowly making his way to the chairs.

"Hello boys." Tommy said motioning for them to sit down.

"We, uh, didn't get a chance to see you after the funeral. Well you disappeared on us , but we'll me and John wanted to say that-"

"Arthur shut up." Tommy interrupted, wanting to get this over and done with.

"All right." He said taking his hat off and holding it in his hands. John was leaning over the back of the chair, ands clasped together.

"Alright talk to me." Tommy said standing up and perching on the windowsill.

"We got to Angel at the hospital where he laid. Cut his throat. He's dead." Arthur explained to him. "Cleared out the rest of the Italians out of the south of the city."