six

"Everybody loves me"

It was the Derby day and Octavia's emotions where a whirl wind in her stomach. Happiness. Nervousness. Anger. Confusion.

Octavia was positioned next to Tommy and Clara, and Clara next to John. The rest of the blinders walked behind them staying on the down low. The two pairs made their way to a small, but cramped, bar on the ground floor. John and Tommy walked over to the bar to order some drinks.

There was a slight tension between the girls but it was soon washed away when the conversation started.

"Isn't Mason coming?" Clara asked genuinely. She shifted round to fiddle with some condiments. "Yes he is, he's going to be staying with the other boys. Tommy said they'll keep him safe." Octavia smiled at the thought of her brother being protected.

Clara nodded her head up showing that she'd acknowledged what Octavia has just said to her. "I'm not sure what I'll do without you today." Clara admitted fiddling with a napkin. She purposefully avoided her best friends eyes.

Octavia let out a small chuckle, taking Clara's hands in her own. "You'll be okay, I'll see if I can get Tommy to let you down to see his horse." Octavia said trying to cheer her up.

"Doesn't she have a name?"

"Tommy said he's naming her today. Bit odd if u ask me." Octavia said pulling a face. She looked around for the boys and they were over bringing the drinks back.

"Gin for the ladies" John said placing the two small glasses in front of them.

"Thank you"

"Only beer?" Clara commented taking a sip. It was unusual to see the boys drinking anything other than whiskey or hard liquor.

"We have business to do." Tommy said taking a sip.

"Oh." Clara sat and thought. She pulled a disgusted face after a minute.

"What?" Octavia asked.

"I'll be on my own again. Since Octavia is going off working with Tommy. All the other boys are working! Even Mason is." Clara said starting to regret coming.

Clara usually goes to the races with Octavia but not like this. The girls never miss one. The races are normally one of the top social events of the season.

"You'll make friends" Tommy said quickly standing up. "We have to dash." He was looking around frantically. Tommy pulled Octavia out of her seat and she finished her drink quickly. "Let's get going John boy!" Tommy said giving his brother a quick pat on the back.

John made his way back to the other Peaky blinders whilst Tommy and Octavia went to attend to business leaving Clara alone.

Tommy had Octavia in his arm pulling her out of the bar following a man which looked to be a solider. They lined up on the stairway around 4 people behind the target. Octavia wondered why this man needed to be followed but wouldn't dare ask.

Not now anyways.

"I have to talk to you." A woman in light pink pulled on Tommy's arm.

"Grace wha- what are you doing here?"

"I have to talk to you." The woman repeated.

"Grace," he said looking up at the man, and then over to Octavia. "This is not a good time" he said putting a cigarette in his mouth.

He pushed Grace, the woman in pink, down the stairs carefully still having Octavia on his arm. He pulled them both all the way to the back of the queue looking up at the soldier every so often.