His Past 2

"Nisan, play dolls with me?" Natsu quietly asked him. Hinata peered into Natsu's amber eyes and saw a reflection of himself. It's been three years since the incident, and his family was doing fine. They seem to have forgotten about it and He hadn't mentioned it. He regretted what he had said, but the disconcerting feeling of 'what if' what his father had speculated was true, haunted Hinata. He felt like he wouldn't be able to forgive himself for lying about who he is. Glancing at the tea set on his hands, Hinata didn't try to overthink it. He planned to settle for less because if he were to pry for more, he'll only feel remoreseful in the end.

They played tea parties for hours; Hinata was dressed in a tutu as suggested by Natsu. Her room was overlaid with dolls and teddy bears to which Hinata adores. Suddenly, there was a hard knock on the door, and Hinata jumped up from the wooden chair. It fell over with a thump as the doorknob pivoted. Hinata's father pushed his head in- gelled hair slicked behind his ear and a suit pristinely ironed onto his body to procure the status of a rich man. His eyes wander from Natsu to Hinata. He stood in a comical tutu with his hair tied back into two ponytails. He looks mincing. It adulterated his "feminine" styles that his father had disapproved of. The middle aged man frowned, but he didn't say anything; he simply opened the door with one hand before walking in to hug Natsu.

"Get rid of that stupid tutu and come down and watch some baseball with me," he said.

With that, the door was left ajar as the looming figure left in silence as if expecting Hinata to follow suit. He quickly threw off the tutu and pulled out the hair ties in his hair before handing it back to Natsu, who frowned in displeasure.

"Play by yourself okay? I'll come back for our tea party tomorrow," Hinata pacified her. He pulled out a small fruit snack from his pocket and gave it to Natsu who took it with a smile. She wasn't mad at him but at her father. She didn't care whether nisan wanted to play with her or not; she only knew that her older brother enjoys spending time with her more than he does with their dad, so the notation of leaving Shoyo to stay with that man when she has seen her brother too many times uncomfortably staring at the screen in befuddlement, upsets her. She wanted to retaliate, but Shoyo had told her many times to just ignore what their father says.

"The invitation is at three tomorrow, okay nisan? Don't be late," Natsu reconfirmed with her older brother. He gave her a thumbs-up before leaving her room to head downstairs.

They sat in the living room in quietness. The television was turned on- playing what seems to be a baseball tournament that happened two days ago.

"Your mom wanted to see you, but I told her you couldn't make it due to school work," his father started. Hinata stiffened, but he didn't say anything. Right. His mother who got sick three years ago was now lying in the hospital bed, malnourished and deathly pale. So sick that Hinata had to do most of the housework at home due her absence. Hinata took up the role of the mother and took care of Natsu while she was absent as best as he can while also preparing for his mother. He would pack warm congee and healthy snacks in a lunchbox, but his father was the one who delivered it to her. He never got to see her for the past three years and he couldn't comprehend why.

"I haven't seen her in quite a long time dad," Hinata hinted to his father.
The taller man didn't say anything, and as if on edge by the silence, Hinata continued.
"It'll be nice if I can see her maybe this month? It's also her birthday soon, so I thought maybe our family can spend some time in the hospital and celebrate-"
"No. The only thing your mother needs is rest. We can celebrate her birthday when she gets better," his father cut him off and the words were caught inside his throat. He forcefully swallowed them down and sighed shortly. It feels like even meeting his mother has also become wishful thinking in his head.
"Why can't I go see her?" Hinata finally inquired after a long silence where he tried to manage his anger at how unfair his father was..
"Why must you retaliate Shoyo? If I tell you to stay home, you will stay home. There are times when you can't answer to the authorities. You're already eleven Shoyo, yet you're still so stubborn," His father snarled back in annoyance. Quickly, he dismissed his son to his room in uneasiness that the boy will ask him more questions.
Hinata walked to the stairway and stood there as if he wanted to walk back and to stand in front of his father to tell him he was only eleven. Why is it that he has to carry so much on his back?
"Who knows what nonsense she would tell him. The brat couldn't be sicker, yet she continues to pester me to let her see him." Hinata froze, and as if repulsed by his father, he stumbled up the stairs. He wasn't sick. He was fine. He's not sick.