His Past 1

Hinata was born into a loving family. His father works as a small industrial businessman, and his mother was a loving housewife. At one point, she started working from home, but her husband was too stubborn to let her work outside. He wasn't sure if it was a sense of patriarchal aptitude- that men should do the work while women work the house, or if it was because he worries about her mental health. His father was an upright man, and he has a set of beliefs for genders and roles. It wasn't like he agreed, but growing up, he had to follow it in the aspect that, well, he was his father.

Hinata meets two boys in his neighborhood one day and decides to become their friends. He was four around that time, so the meeting between the three of them was arranged by their mothers since all parties were around the same age. Maybe it was due to his young nature, but he was aware that these two genuinely wanted to be his friends. It was in a friendly way, of course, but they made him happy.

Their names were Izumi and Koji.

These two idiots grew up alongside him. They ate worms for breakfast every Saturday and hung out every other Sunday. They seem to know a way or two to make him laugh. Hinata himself loves laughing, and he loves it more when he makes others smile. He was only four, but he seems to understand a lot.

That was three years ago. He enjoyed his life even with a stringent father. The seven-year-old boy came home from a play date when his father suddenly asked him how his day went. It was brusque and abrupt in that he was suspicious with how he gave Hinata a once over. Hinata being oblivious to the discomfort of his father told him truthfully.

"It was really fun, I really like them!"

Amber eyes looked up at his father, but he seemed displeased. His thick brows furrowed, almost as if he was angry at what Hinata had said. Almost as if what he said was wrong in his eyes. Hinata closed his mouth and beamed a nonchalant smile, his hands wrapped behind his back, nervously sweating. He didn't know what he did wrong, but he did not try to pester his father for answers.

"Go wash up and come down for dinner."

His father returned to what he was doing and Hinata took that as a cue to leave. He washed up and ran downstairs to his mother who was in the kitchen. Her round stomach was bulging and the dress she wore suited her. She was beautiful and Hinata Knew his baby sister would be just as pretty and kind.

"Shoyo, do you want ketchup on your omelette?" she asked him gently. It was soothing and light, and it made him happy. He nodded his head and pulled out a small plate from the drawer.

"Mom, when is the baby coming out?" He inquired excitedly in his seat.

"In a couple of days Shoyo. When she arrives, make sure to give her a warm welcome." His mom collected his plate and placed his omelet on it.

His face glowed, and he straightened. There was a hint of determination on his face as he say: "Yes mom, I promise to love and take care of her."

It was a declaration, but Hinata truly believed he would be able to protect his baby sister. It wasn't a wistful dream, nor was it a false promise. Hinata truly wishes to be the best brother he could be for his sister.

So when Natsu was born a few days later, Hinata was overjoyed. He was the first to see the baby besides his mother. His father was busy at work and couldn't take the time off, so it was just the two of them including baby Natsu in their quiet hospital room.

Hinata stares down at the small bundle in his mother's arm.

"Mom, can I hold her?" He asked in a hushed whisper, but it was loud enough for her to catch. His mother smiled and gave Natsu to him. With gentle care, lift her up along with the blanket.