Chapter 11: Nothing to Sneeze at

The next morning, Steven came into his Lapis' bedroom to wake up his sister.

"Good morning, Lapis." "Pearl sent me to wake you up. Ready for more genie magic lessons?"

No answer came from the hybrid girl, but Steven could see her shivering like a leaf under the blankets. He came closer and saw that his sister's face was pale with dots of sweat, red hot cheeks and nose, and watery eyes.

"Lapis, what happened?" Steven gasped.

"I'm sick." Lapis answered in a congested voice before going into a fit of wet coughs.

Her genie friends popped their heads in the doorway after hearing the coughing fit.

"Did you say that you're sick?" asked Peridot worriedly. "Genie magic can get unpredictable when genies are sick."

"It's no big deal." the blue-haired hybrid assured her. "I've gotten sick before. This isn't my first rodeo."

"Rodeo?" Spinel raised an eyebrow.

"Lapis, we don't know how sick you really are and neither do you." Pearl argued. "You could have a serious illness for all we know."

"Perhaps we should consult the genie physician to examine her." Garnet suggested.

"Good idea." the pale genie agreed.

"Uh, did anybody even consider how we're going to sneak Lapis to the doctor's through streets that are crawling with outlaws?" Amethyst asked.

"We'll all go together." Bismuth stated. "Criminals usually don't target large groups. But, we still need to keep a low profile."

"Then, let's get moving." Peridot declared.

Garnet led the group, her head peering around the corner to check if the coast was clear.

"Alright, everybody." the magenta genie instructed her friends. "Follow my lead."

The others filed cautiously behind her. They darted into alleyways and behind sale stands in case an unfriendly figure came their way.

Bismuth cradled Lapis in her arms as they went. Steven noticed that the poor girl was shaking harder than before and she was groaning in pain.

"Hang in there a little longer, sis." her big brother urged her. "We're almost there."

After what felt like eternity, the eight friends finally made it to the genie clinic. Pearl knocked on the door rather frantically.

"Fluorite!" she called out anxiously. "Fluorite? Are you in?"

The door opened to reveal a genie who looked older than everybody in the group. She had turquoise colored skin, dark teal eyes, and mint green hair. She wore a loose, translucent teal kimono over a dress made up of a sky blue top and a royal purple skirt that hid her feet.

"Pearl." Fluorite said. "What brings you and your friends to my clinic?"

"Our hybrid friend Lapis is sick." the pale genie answered. "And we're not sure how bad her illness is."

"Bring her inside, quickly." the turquoise genie urged the team. They made absolutely no haste to do so.

Lapis' body was gently laid down on a cot that Fluorite had in her clinic.

"So, how bad is it, doc?" asked Amethyst.

"I glad you all brought your friend here so urgently." the medical genie stated. "This is no standard illness, even in our terms. The pathogen in Lapis' system is infused with dark genie magic. The good news is that it's treatable. I just need some time to whip up a pharmaceutical. It might be awhile."