Chapter 7: The Hunt is On

Meanwhile in the castle that overlooked all of Zanaraha, White Diamond was sitting on his throne; deep in thought. Ever since he stole Queen Blue Diamond's regime, he had been ruling Zanaraha with an iron fist. The emperor made his subjects worship him out of fear and tax them to glorify his palace or himself. Anything that he identified as a bad omen to his reign, he sought to purge.

The biggest accomplishment that White had ever had was having a son not long after Queen Blue Diamond's banishment. His name was Jasper and he was the self-proclaimed prince of Zanaraha. He was pompous, intimidating, spoiled, and selfish. All of the criminals in the land circled around him as their leader.

Jasper came into the picture after his father seduced a female genie he found off the streets. White Diamond manipulated this peasant genie into thinking that the emperor truly loved her before and during her pregnancy with Jasper. But right after his son was born, the emperor disposed of the naive mother and White had been raising Jasper on his own ever since.

"Jasper." the emperor summoned his son. "Come in here."

Almost within seconds, a brawny male genie entered the throne room. This was Jasper, the evil prince who carried out his father's nefarious deeds. He had light orange skin with scarlet stripes, long wild white hair, and intimidating gold eyes. He wore a baggy red bodysuit, a black vest held up by a maroon sash like belt, and dark scarlet slippers.

"You called, Father?" Jasper said.

"I understand that you are the leader of Zanaraha's most feared criminals." White Diamond began.

"Tell me something I don't know." the arrogant prince scoffed.

"I have an assignment for you and your gang of hoodlums." the evil emperor went on.

The emperor created a cloud with his magic to reveal the young Lapis Lazuli. The moment Jasper saw the image of the blue-haired girl, he was completely awestruck.

"This is Lapis Lazuli, a human girl with genie magic coursing through her veins." his father explained.

"A human with genie magic?" Jasper said in surprise. "Is she a hybrid?"

"Yes." White answered. "And I believe she is the daughter of my sister-in-law Queen Blue Diamond."

"But, how is that possible?" the prince asked.

"How it's possible is that Blue fell in love with a human during her exile and had that virus of a child." the white genie replied in disgust.

"Virus wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe her as." Jasper purred, gazing  at the image of the young girl.

The orange genie was lost in Lapis' appearance from her skinny body and snow-like skin to her dazzling blue attire and ocean blue hair. The girl's sparkling blue eyes had an innocent look that scorched Jasper's soul.

"Enough daydreaming!" the genie emperor shouted, snapping his son back into reality. "You must do whatever it takes to capture Lapis Lazuli."

"For what reason?" Jasper raised an eyebrow.

"Lapis is of true royal blood, a princess." White Diamond stated. "Which means that if she were to face and defeat me, she would end my reign and liberate this kingdom in the name of her mother. Therefore, she is the greatest threat to my dominion and must be terminated."

"What?" the orange genie spoke out of term. "No, you can't do that."

"You dare to question my orders?" his father raised his voice.

"No, what I question is you wanting to destroy a girl so young and beauteous." Jasper answered. "Don't get me wrong. I understand that your rule of Zanaraha must be maintained. But perhaps, we can use the hybrid girl for our own benefit without having any need to kill her."

"Absolutely not!" the emperor refused. "With the awesome power she has, she's too dangerous to be kept alive. Besides, I know you just want to keep her around because you think she'd make a good bride."

"Father." the prince whined.

"I realize that you're coming of age to marry, but being wed to a human/genie hybrid is just distasteful; even if she is a princess." White Diamond tried to reason with him. "And don't whine at me. It's very unbecoming."

"Fine." grumbled Jasper. "So, what do you want me to do about the girl?"

"Appoint the most ruthless criminals in your gang to stop at nothing until you have apprehended the young Lapis." the genie  emperor instructed. "And, bring her here alive. That way, I'll be able to terminate her in front of her parents' very eyes."

"As you wish, Father." the evil prince nodded as he left the throne room, a shadow obscuring his eyes.

When the emperor was alone again, he thought, "I knew that kidnapping the princess's parents would be enough to lure her to Zanaraha. You can run, little Lapis; but you can't hide."

During the first sunset, Jasper had called his posse of genie outlaws for an important meeting. There were about nine genies that made up his gang.

"I'm glad you all could come on such short notice." the gang leader said before showing his team their prey with his magic. "This is our quarry, Lapis Lazuli. She is a genie/human hybrid and the true heir to the throne of Zanaraha."

"A half genie/half human?" one outlaw said in a sickened tone. "Ugh, disgusting!"

"She is not disgusting!" Jasper snapped, annoyed by the repetitive comments of how shameless the hybrid girl was. He took a deep breath and composed himself. "She is the girl who is going to be my bride. Which is why I want you all to capture her at any cost. Bring her back to my palace alive. Do I make myself clear?"

"Perfectly." another outlaw answered.

"Good. Now, go!" the corrupt prince ordered as the criminals dispersed. "Get me that princess!"

Once Jasper was left alone, he realized that he left out the part where Lapis was to be brought to his father. And honestly, he did not regret to. That girl was meant to be his and his alone. He knew that for a fact. It didn't matter to the prince that he was defying the emperor's wishes.

However, he also knew that once he did get his hands on Lapis; she would want to get away from him and escape. Luckily, Jasper had ways of making girls more... obedient.

"I will make you mine, my dear Lapis." he murmured, staring at the magical image of the hybrid girl. "And I will make you love me."

He started cackling softly at first, but then it increased in volume and echoed throughout the land.