Chapter 4: High School Hijinks

It was the present day and Lapis was now fourteen years old. She was asleep all snug in her bed which was being bathed in the glow of the early morning sun.

"Lapis." Blue Diamond called from downstairs. "Wake up, dear. It's the first day of school."

The teenage girl stirred in her sleep and she fought the urge to fall back to sleep as her eyes slowly opened. Then, she sat up and yawned while she stretched her arms.

"Lapis?" her mother repeated.

"Yeah, coming Mom." Lapis replied, fully awake.

Upon jumping out of bed, she got in a quick shower; then put on a blue  sundress and gold sandals. And right after brushing her teeth and hair, the young girl rushed downstairs to join her family at the dining table.

"Good morning." Lapis greeted her parents and older brother.

"Good morning, Lapis." Steven said back.

"Breakfast is on the table, dear." Blue Diamond notified.

"Thanks, Mom." the teenage girl told her mom as she sat down to a hearty plate of pancakes and hashbrowns.

"Morning, cutie." Greg greeted his daughter. "Are you excited to go back to school?"

"Well, I don't have a lot of friends." Lapis answered between bites of food. "So it's not like anyone's looking forward to seeing me."

"Maybe that will change today." her father winked.

"I hope so." the young girl said half-heartedly.

"Speaking of school, we'd better get going before we're late." Steven alerted his little sister as he swallowed the last of his breakfast.

"Right." Lapis nodded, finishing up hers and giving her dad a hug. "See ya, Dad. Love you."

"See you later, kids." Greg relied.

"Have a good day, sweetheart." Blue Diamond said as she gave her daughter a goodbye kiss on her forehead.

"Bye, Mom." the teenage girl said as she grabbed her backpack and followed her brother out the door.

The high school that Lapis and Steven went to wasn't too far from their house so they could easily walk over. When they got there, they entered the front lobby which was jam-packed with other kids. Not long after that, a supervisor allowed everyone to go to homeroom.

"Think you can get to your homeroom on you own?" Steven asked Lapis.

"Yeah, I'll be fine." the young girl answered.

"Alright." Steven said, giving his sister a quick hug. "See you soon."

The two siblings parted ways and Lapis dodged her fellow school goers to get to her homeroom. Just then, the sound of two senior boys laughing stopped her in tracks. She saw a pair of bullies taunting a trio of short girls.

The first girl had light green skin, forest green eyes, glasses, and pale chartreuse hair. She wore a green T-shirt, cargo shorts, and lime-green high-tops.

The second girl lilac colored skin, indigo eyes, and pale lavender hair that was tied up in a ponytail. She wore a purple short-sleeved hoodie, stonewashed shorts, and white skater shoes.

The third girl had light pink skin, pink eyes like rabbits, and light red hair in two heart-shaped buns. She wore a white tank top, a dark pink skirt, and light red maryjane shoes.

"Looks like we've got us some fresh meat." one of the bullies joked.

"Ugh, why are you so oddly colored?" the other asked in disgust. "Are you from another planet or something?"