Ch. 16 - Dinner Party

Começar do início

"Your mother spent ten minutes explaining that we need to hire a maid because I can't clean anything properly."

"Nothing's ever good enough for her, it's fine. You're doing great, and now that your parents are being entertained, I'm going to warm up."

That's right. You'd forgotten.

Yoongi had told you a few nights ago that his parents wanted him to play at the party. You weren't sure why that was necessary, but he'd simply shrugged and said just to go with it. It was something they always requested at these sorts of things.

So, approximately fifteen minutes later, Yoongi deemed himself ready to play. He gathered the group's attention and announced that he wanted to play a few small numbers in honor of the occasion.

"Some people reserve entertainment for the end of the evening," Yoongi announced as he dramatically turned toward the piano. "In our family, we like to start on a high note."

He simultaneously hit the farthest right key, emitting a high note in response.

You and Jungkook rolled your eyes. Both sets of your parents adored it, and Hoseok tried to hide his own chuckles at the pun.

You and your parents were thoroughly impressed with his repertoire. His own parents, and obviously Jungkook must have heard it a thousand times before. Even Hoseok seemed a bit lackluster in his reactions, although you all listened politely.

While your parents were impressed by his skill, you were more interested in the style of music he was playing. 

Classical pieces.

If someone had told you that this was what Yoongi knew how to play, you would have thought they were crazy. It didn't seem like his kind of music. 

He certainly played beautifully, but there didn't seem to be any attachment to the pieces aside from concentration. Something about that made you frown, but none of the others in the room seemed to feel the same way.

He cycled through a few pieces, but your favorite was this sad, almost haunting melody. That was also coincidentally the last piece that he had to play for the night.

When he was done, he stood and took a mock bow. Everyone clapped.

And at that moment, the caterer cleared his throat from the entrance to the kitchen.

"Excuse me. If everyone would please take their seats, dinner will be served shortly."

The eight of you made quick work going into the dining room. Yoongi sat at the head of the table, flanked by his parents on either side. You sat on the opposite end, with the same placement of your parents. Jungkook sat between your fathers and Hoseok was placed between your mothers.

You weren't sure you liked this arrangement. But then again, you weren't the one who made it.

"Yoongi, you play so well. How long have you been studying piano?" your mother asked.

He smiled as he set his napkin on his lap. "I studied for about five years when I was younger."

"Yes, but then he wanted to change his focus to basketball, so we let him," his father added. "Provided that he keep his grades up and keep playing on special occasions such as this."

"Well, it's lovely to see someone with musical talents. You don't see that nowadays."

You saw Yoongi shift awkwardly.

"It's nice to experiment," his mother chimed in, "but we always knew his true interests lied elsewhere. In business, just like the rest of his family."