Veintiuno

"I MUST NOT TELL LIES."

-Harry Potter, Order of the Phoenix.

Happy Birthday to CandyIsFluffyAndCool

Sorry I'm impossibly late.

She was there.

And positively ignoring me.

"Oh come on!" I exclaimed, following her down the aisle of the store while she poked at several things just to prove that I was non-existent to her.

What did she take me for?

I should have a damned degree in annoying people!

"Rude receptionist? Sonya? Tennis goddess?"

She almost looked at me for the last one but as though restraining herself from whacking me in my man nuts, she clenched her fists and made her way down into the adjacent aisle.

I followed her, snatching her cart from her much to her irritation.

So she finally met my gaze and exploded, "What do you want?"

"I want an explanation."

She took back her cart and snatched a box of cereal from the shelf and began to stare at it. I looked over her shoulder at the label, "You eat Fruity Pebbles?"

She groaned and stuffed it inside the cart, looking down the aisle again for something else and then when she seemed unable to find it, she marched down the aisle and walked briskly towards the cashier who had too wide a mouth and pants to be legal.

"Hola Senor Reyes, ¿Estás teniendo un buen día?"

He smiled at her and wow... he had to-die-for teeth, "Ah, querida... business is slow... but seeing you has brightened my day."

"Bleh." I mumbled very graciously at the back. 

The cashier looked at me, "Who is this, Sonya bear?"

Sonya looked at me like I was the dirt underneath the dirt underneath her shoe and it pissed me off, "Some idiot."

"Should I beat him up for you?"

I frowned. What was this? Fucking hell... "Sonya... I didn't come here to trade insults with you. You don't have to be mean about it."

"How is it mean?" She turned to me, "I don't want to talk to you."

I raised my eyebrows and I knew I looked hot doing it, "Right... glad to see that I had misconceptions. I just wanted to say thank you... for playing with me."

What was wrong with me? Why did I want to understand her? She was probably some bitch that I met on a good day. I was sick of this shit. I'd been thinking about our encounter for a long time and now that I'm face-to-face, it felt like I had cooked up the feeling of connecting with a kindred spirit.

Why should I chase her and ask for an explanation?

She was never going to give it to me!