Nueve

Note to self: Let shit go.

-Pinterest.

I'd spent weeks in this school, wasting away my weekends and catching up on my school work. Apparently, since Bachillerato students were technically apart from the school, we were allowed to take an authorized leave from school on Saturdays. It had been frustrating, realizing I had such freedom and unable to do anything about it. Luckily, Andre and Dante took turns to stay with me. I found that really nice of them.

But what I found even nicer was when Andre burst into our room, minutes to 10 p.m and sat on the free bed opposite me.

"We should all go out tomorrow."

My ears perked up from my English work and I focused my attention on him, nodding in agreement, "Yeah, I think we should."

Dante nodded in agreement, having finished the book he'd been reading and delving into something else. The boy couldn't part with books, I swear.

Andre's expectant gaze faded in wariness, "Blanca's coming with too."

That got Dante's attention, "Andre-"

"I won't let my cousin and best friend fight over something they can settle if they talk it out." His voice was stern, "If you guys could just look at each other and just listen, then I'm sure you can figure this out."

Dante shrugged, "Whatever you say."

That response was quite unsatisfactory, even for me, so I wasn't shocked when Andre pressed on, "Why do you sound like that? You want this to work out, don't you? You do like her, right?"

I was genuinely interested in his answer... Was he still attracted to his ex or not?

My roommate looked away, like he was contemplating whether or not to answer, and it was ten when he said, "Yes, I do."

Our stupid director barked at us to put off our lights and I did so promptly, helping Andre escape to his room. I was already sure that the night would be a quiet one because Dante already had a look before the lights went out.

Like he needed to think.

Making sure he was facing the other way, I stripped out of my clothes and into my pajamas. I was going to take the uniform to the dry-cleaners tomorrow if I could. Maybe I'd stop by my house and get Dad's idea on what to do for my Artistic Drawing work.

I stopped as I slipped into the bed. How was I going to face my father now? Would Anne be there at home, talking on how Mom's decorations were not suited to the house? Was she going to change everything between us?

Did I want a second mom?

Somehow I wished Dante would say something now, anything to keep my mind off the depressing thoughts I was having. But my mind was blank... too blank to conjure a question that would get him talking.

So I suffocated myself with the silence in the room till I fell asleep.

Earlier, during the holidays, I decided that I would always wake up early to bathe and then move back to my room before getting seen.

I should've guessed that the god of lazy would punish me for my pride because the next morning I heard a soft, gentle voice say, "Tate..."

I rolled to the other side of the bed and groaned like a sleepy cat, that person should really leave me alone... it wasn't Thanksgiving yet.

"Hey Tate," The voice said again ,"Wake up... it's almost time for breakfast."

I swatted the voice away and came in contact with damp skin... damp, hard... hot skin...