[27] - [Juan Manuel Correa]

A/N: for leag42

WORDCOUNT: 972

27. "Look, I need a date and you need to save my ass".

"You know, I have this gala coming up". Juan started while you were seated on the couch in his apartment. "Mhm". You hummed, leaned against his side while you were scrolling on your phone. "My ex girlfriend is going to be there". Juan added. "That's awkward". You chuckled. "Yeah, it is". He sighed. It was silent for a couple seconds. "Look, I need a date and you need to save my ass". He sat up a little and it caused you to fall behind him. You sat up straight and gave him a glare. "Why do you need me to come along with you?". You asked. "Because I don't want my ex to speak to me". "You want to make her jealous". You stated. "No! I mean, yes, a little, but I don't want you to think that I'm using you to make her jealous. She's been saying that I'm not over her, so I want to make it clear to her that I'm definitely not interested anymore". Juan sighed and you could see the inner battle he was having with himself to ask you this. "Alright". You said.

You had been by his side nearly 24/7 after his nearly deadly crash. It was a miracle how strong he was after the many surgeries and many setbacks he and his family went through. It was tought for Juan to not be able to race and even more heavy felt the burden of comments that said that he was a 'killer' and responsible for F2's loss of Antoine Hubert. You had done your best to cheer him up, looking for the comforting comments and letters that were sent to him, letting him read them to show how many people supported him and wished him the best. It was great to see that he felt so much better now he could train again and start working on walking again, driving a road car again. There was a futuristisc perspective that included him being able to race again and that's what's keeping him going. Juan was still invited to the end of the season gala and he initially didn't want to go, but his friends on the grid urged him to come. And you were sure the story of his ex was just a back up, he was afraid to go alone.

But as you promised, was done. You were nicely dressed for the gala and you picked up Juan from his apartment. He was still in his wheelchair and if he wanted to have a beer, you decided it would be better to have him in the passenger's seat. Juan was visibly taken away by your appearance, and it caused his eyes to light up. "Hola, guapa". You smiled at him. "Aren't you handsome". You said, adjusting the collar of his button-up slightly. "Let's steal the show". Juan smiled back at you. You helped him to get into the passenger's side and he gave you the address of the gala venue, which you typed into the navigation to drive there. It was busy as many of the Formula 2 teams were getting there. You didn't have to worry about where to park your car. You could hand the keys over to the valet parking and you and Juan got inside after they checked if your names were on the list.

There was a sticker on the floor where was place for his wheelchair and you sat beside him with a glass of water in your hand. "Hold my hand?". Juan softly asked when the ceremony was about to start, many of the drivers came up to him and had some small talk. You smiled at him and reached him your other hand, which he gently held in his lap. Of course there were some words about his strength and encouragement after the crash and you could notice he wasn't sure how to respond to them, but he calmed down when he felt your thumb stroking the back of his hand, letting him know that he wasn't alone in this. The awards were handed out to those who were nominated and they were having an after party. You remained on his side as he chatted with his former teammates from Prema Racing and you could see that he was enjoying this. His ex girlfriend was of course no where to be seen. "So, I can see you've taken Y/N with you tonight". Marcus Armstrong started as he looked over at you.

"Well, she's driving, so she's taking me". Juan chuckled. "I see". Marcus nodded. "She's been on your side for a while, hasn't she?". The New Zealander asked kindly. "We've spend some hours together". You laughed, looking down at Juan, who smiled back at you, his cheeks slightly turning red. "Mate, can you help me for a moment?". Juan asked and reached his hand out for Marcus. Your eyebrows furrowed together as Marcus hoisted him out of his wheelchair, holding his waist to steady him when he turned to you. "You mean so much to me". Juan told you, holding onto both of your hands. "And... I love you". He softly said, making you both laugh a bit when Marcus hid his head behind Juan's back to pretend like he wasn't there. Your hand reached out for his face and you looked into his brown eyes. "I love you too". The smiles were still on your lips when you kissed for the first time and Marcus was too busy cheering that you nearly fell backwards due to Juan losing his balance, but the guys, literally, had your backs and kept you standing.

The season couldn't have been ended in a better way.