Chapter 32: Duets and Female Solo

I'm So sorry it's been so long. I got put off by the Wattpad breach in June/July, then was overwhelmed by online school because I'm dyslexic and struggle with it all, but I realised I don't want to just leave this unfinished! I have so many plans for these upcoming final chapters and you guys are either gonna hate me or love me or potentially both but I'm excited to write them!

Dianne's PoV
I'm dancing twice today, which makes me doubly nervous. I've got to bring it as the female soloist, and I'm just not sure if I can do it. However, we've got to get through mine and Joe's duet first.

"You look gorgeous," Chloe smiles, admiring my outfit.

"Thanks, babe," I return her smile. Chloe has become something of a sister to me, particularly now that she's my Nationals roommate. It's such a shame she isn't getting to dance with us after all the hard work she put in this year.

"This is honestly my favourite duet I've ever done," Joe says, strutting into the room in his costume. He's in a black shirt, black dance trousers and black jazz shoes and I'm in an emerald green dress that flows on a diagonal to my knees that sort of makes me look like Ariel. I love it. His hair is slicked back with gel and hairspray and mine has been curled and is now in a high ponytail.

"Same," I smile, hugging him.

It's not a lie either. Both of us love this duet. Quite frankly this duet could win Internationals, not just Nationals. In a way I'm worried we're wasting what could be an Internationals winning number at the Nationals competition. But I guess we'll cross the Internationals bridge if and when we come to it. I'm sure Joe and I can choreograph something equally as spectacular.

"Wanna mark it?" Joe asks.

"Sure," I smile. "I'm pretty confident about it, but with all the drama it can't hurt to mark it."

"Exactly," Joe nods at me. "Smart little mermaid."

We don't exactly mark the dance. I mean, that was the intention of course, but for some reason this is just one of those dances you can't help but dance full out every time.
We went so full out that we didn't even realise half the team was standing in the room clapping us. I really love this team. As much as I miss my Australian crew, I can't imagine not dancing with these guys now. Yes, there's been drama, but it's the end result that counts. I can't speak for the rest of the competition, but I just know Joe and I have this duet down. We're gonna win. Positive attracts positive.

———

"We got this," I jump up and down nervously as Joe and I are waiting in the wings.

We're performing next, and so far the groups have been really good. Currently Cardiff Dance School are performing, and they beat EAD in the male solo round, meaning they're good. They're facing us this round - knockout time. They're doing well, but I don't think it's enough to beat us. For some bizarre reason, they chose to do tap. Tap is like, unheard of at competitions like these. It's difficult to score well on tap, just as it's difficult to score well on ballet. They require so much precision that it's a real make it or break it. Cardiff definitely took a risk by doing a tap number, but hats off to them, I guess. They're doing well, but even I can pick up on the slight missteps that will inevitably cost them. Contemporary and lyrical are really the best choices for duets, maybe acro if you're younger.

Cardiff finishes, takes a bow, and now it's our turn.

"Well, Claudia, that was some pretty impressive stuff we've just seen from the Cardiff Dance School there!"