Chapter 23: List: Accomplished

Dianne's PoV
Joe had sounded extremely excited in the voicemail I'd been left during my B Troupe rehearsals. Apparently he'd totally skipped A Troupe rehearsals to choreograph our duet to the highest standard, and although I don't totally approve of skipping Nationals rehearsals just to choreograph a duet I will most definitely be changing anyway, it's really cute that he's done it. I've been told to go straight to the rehearsal room he's in.

I walk in, and quite honestly I'm shocked. He looks an absolute mess. He's covered in sweat, he looks exhausted and to someone who didn't know Joe you'd probably think he should be in some sort of mental hospital.

"Are you okay?" I put my bag down and go over to him. "You literally look ill."

"Yeah," he laughs breathlessly. "I've been working on this for the majority of the day. I went to contemporary class, then started on rehearsing this. I went for an hour to A Troupe rehearsals because I felt bad, but they let me go because they know I'm doing this to get you back on the team and they need you almost as much as I do."

I nod slowly. I hadn't really thought about how it might've been affecting the team as a whole. I feel a bit selfish now.

"Anyway, wanna see what I've got?" he grins. "I borrowed Zoe for a bit to be my dance partner but she had to leave so this might look a bit weird with just me dancing but I hope you understand it!"

I laugh a little. He doesn't have to worry. I'll be able to tell what he's trying to do without having a partner there. Joe runs over to the speaker and presses play, starting the dance almost immediately.
It's a contemporary routine, filled with multiple tricks and lifts, some of which I know are pretty hard and if executed properly will definitely wow the judges at Nationals.

"I have to say, I'm impressed," I smile when Joe stops dancing, struggling to catch his breath.

"Yeah?" he asks. He sounds like death, but his little hopeful eyes reassure me.

"A hundred percent," I smile. He smiles back at me, his face turning into that teddy bear look I love.

We stay there for a short moment, just staring at each other and smiling.

"Thank you," I say eventually, hugging him.

He's surprised by the sudden embrace, but he quickly wraps his arms around me too. I'm starting to feel like I'm home.

"I know you'll probably want to change some things or maybe like the entire thing," Joe says when we pull away, biting his lip. "But I hope it gave you a good starting point maybe?"

"I'm not gonna change it," I say. "It's perfect."

And I mean it.

He hasn't even completed the first list, and yet when I look at his face and into those eyes, I'm feeling myself fall in love with him all over again. And that's the most extraordinary feeling in the whole world.

Joe's PoV
Dianne's approval of my duet choreography literally makes my day. I'm definitely on my way to winning her back.

"Just gotta write some letters and you're back on the team," I remind her.

"Yep," she giggles. "I gotta say, I'm looking forward to dancing that duet with you. It looks like a lot of fun."

I beam at her. It's like happiness itself is swirling through my veins.

"Anyway, I gotta go now, but I'll see you tomorrow," she waves and dashes out the door before I even have time to say goodbye.

I decide it'll be easier to stay at the studio and write the letters. I like being here, and at home my mum would just be on me to do homework. I decide to start with my mum.