Chapter 22: Presents

Joe's PoV
"Gather round my little cherubs," I say as I enter the studio the following day, bags of presents in my arms.

"What in god's name is that?" Jack looks at me sceptically. "Is this another prank?"

"Nope," I shake my head. "I have gone and bought gifts for you all. Zoe helped, so if you don't like them then take it up with her. They're from me and Dianne."

"You're back together?!" Anna exclaims.

"Not quite," I say. "I'm completing a list of things she wants me to do and then she's gonna join A Troupe again and be my girlfriend."

"Damn, you're dedicated," Amy whistles.

Everyone gathers round me to examine their gifts. I made Zoe wrap them, so they look bloody brilliant. She's always been the more arts and crafts one in the family, making things look beautiful. She has her life way more together than me, although in my current situation that probably isn't hard.

"STAMPS?!" Neil looks at me, dumbfounded.

"Yes, I found you a new hobby," I respond, earning a brief laugh from Jack before he discovers what his present is.

"Tell me this is a joke," he looks at me.

"It's from the heart," I grin.

I'd gone and bought him some Yankee Candles and a copy of Conor's single. I personally thought it was a wonderful gift. Neil drops his gift on the floor to laugh at Jack's. Everyone else looks over at the gift and joins in the laughter, and soon Jack himself is laughing.

"You're a dick," he grins, shaking his head.

"OMG NO WAY!" Anna squeals upon opening her gift.

Jack and Neil were the only ones I bought joke gifts for. The others had genuine thought put into them. Anna's is some of the Little Mix makeup stuff from Boots. I have no idea what it is, but it's some sort of powder. Maybe eyeshadow? Could be that blush stuff though. Zoe bought it. Anna absolutely adores Little Mix, and Zoe told me she'd been talking about getting their makeup for a while now.

Everyone else is thrilled with their gifts, all of them thought through nicely. Dianne will be pleased.

"What the hell how come everyone else got a good gift and Jack and I have been landed with a joke?" Neil threw a pretend tantrum.

"Because I love you the most," I say. "This is my way of showing I care."

Neil and Jack grin, knowing it's true.

———

"Sup my girl," I wrap my arm around Dianne when I leave rehearsals. I'd texted her and asked her to wait for me, but knowing her rehearsals finished a whole hour before ours, I wasn't convinced she'd actually stay. She'd never replied to the message, and to me that said 'fuck off Joe'. However, she was standing there waiting the moment I got out.

"Not your girl yet," she ducks and removes my arm from her shoulder, but smiles at me. "I hear the team loved their gifts, even Jack and Neil who you deliberately bought shit gifts."

"I told you they weren't all a joke," I return her smile.

"Well done," Dianne giggles.

We stand there in silence for a while. Some silences are awkward, where nobody knows what to say and they don't know if they can leave the situation, but it didn't feel awkward with Dianne. It proves that despite us not being together, that silent communication and relaxation in each other's presence hadn't disappeared.

"This time tomorrow we'll have our duet," I say eventually, breaking the sweet silence.

"Good job," Dianne smiles. "Can't wait to see what you come up with."

And then she leaves, smiling at me as she goes. I know there and then that we'll be back together very soon.

Shortest chapter ever but I've literally been in a shitty place for the past few weeks and writing has been a struggle. Too many deadlines and traumatic memories from school coming back to haunt me and literal emotional breakdowns, fun fun fun! I'll try and update when I can but honestly I'm so busy it's a nightmare :(

- Bee xo