Chapter 9: The Day Off

So I'm not gonna do every rehearsal every day because that's just a lot of unnecessary time to fill. This is now Friday of the first week back. I'm doing this because I don't wanna move everything too fast. This is January currently and Nationals won't be until the beginning of April (Easter break so they don't miss any school). But yeah. You can fill the gaps in with whatever you like, but it's essentially just rehearsals.

Joe's PoV
Occasionally we get days off from rehearsals, whether it's a bank holiday Monday, a prior commitment Shirley and/or Alesha have, or if they think we've done a good job and deserve a break. This is what's happened today. Shirley and Alesha thought we'd done so well in the past week that she gave us today off.

It's Friday, so all our classes are optional anyway, but I still attended a few: singing, acting and street dance. Dianne, Amy and Zoe have chosen to go swimming at the leisure centre and really make the most of their day off, which I understand. A lot of kids did this. I know Neil's out with his drama class seeing a musical, and Anna and Jack have gone out with their family. Lola, AJ, Ellie and Chloe stayed though, which is fun. She's a cool kid, and I've still got her to thank that Dianne is on the team at all.

"We never did singing or acting back at my old studio," Lola says as she sits nervously outside Maeve's acting room. Maeve was extremely strict, especially when it comes to our level. I'm kinda scared for Lola.

"Hey guys!" our teacher says, surprisingly cheerfully as she runs towards us with a bunch of papers in her hand. "Just five of you today?"

"Yeah, everyone else is making the most of their day off," I say.

"We're the dedicated and committed ones," Lola smiles.

"I can see that," Maeve laughs as she unlocks the door and lets us in. "I know Joe and AJ, I recognise two of you but little American girl, no clue."

"I'm Lola," Lola laughed. "I'm new in England, I was part of the American Internationals team last year."

"Impressive," Maeve nods. "Well, I hope you enjoy my class, I don't go easy on anyone."

———

When we leave Maeve's class, Lola looks mentally exhausted, and understandably so. You need photographic memory for her class. Today we were given chunks of texts from tv advertisements, given ten minutes to learn them and then act them out as if we were acting in the advert. One mistake and you had to start over.

"You know, I'm gonna skip singing," Lola groans. "My head kills. I don't know how you do that every Friday and then go straight into rehearsals."

"I mean, the classes are optional," I shrug. "They're just encouraged."

"I don't care, I'm never coming again," Lola shakes her head. We all laugh.

I go to check my phone to see if I have any texts from Dianne. None. I can't say I really expected any, because she's probably having a bunch of fun with the girls, but I can't help but hope. I miss her presence.

———

We all decide to skip singing, and instead go to a rehearsal room and practise. However, of course, it's only a few moments before Sophia and Cinzia turn up. I sigh.

"Hey Joe!" Cinzia smiles as they walk in. "We know it's your day off and all, but we were wondering if you could help us out. Shirley has given us solos for a small competition, and we could really use your guidance."

"Oh!" I say. If I was completely honest, I'd totally forgotten about my promise to them. "Yeah, sure. I have a bunch of free time now anyway."