Chapter 24: Dianne Returns and Lola Leaves

Dianne's PoV
"DIANNEEEE!!!" everyone screams as I walk into the studio for rehearsals the following day.

"Please, don't leave again," Shirley looks at me. "We're still down a member and we don't need more chaos."

"Don't worry, I'm here to stay," I laugh happily.

"Thank god," Anna breathes. "These past weeks have been a complete nightmare."

"Now we have to get Lola back," Amy says. "Does anyone know what studio she's at?"

"No, but I can ask," I say. "I haven't seen her in ages but I can wait for her after school tomorrow."

"Please do," Shirley says. "Now that she knows the drama is over I'm sure she'd be inclined to return to our studio. We're the Internationals winners, we'll get there again."

I nod. It's up to me now. Joe got me back, now I'm gonna get Lola back.

———

"Lola!" I run over to the small brunette at the end of the school day.

"Oh, hey," she smiles. "Haven't seen you in a while. How's things?"

"I'm back on A Troupe," I say cheerfully. "Everything is back to normal and we're stronger than ever."

"Cool," Lola nods.

"But we're a dancer down, and we've already submitted the names," I search her face for any sign of her interest. I see none. "We kinda need you back."

She sighs, confirming my fear she didn't want to return. "Look," she begins, "I appreciate the fact you want another dancer, but you only need 10 to compete. You have 11. So you're fine. You don't need me. I'm happy at my new studio now. But thanks anyway."

"Lola..." I look at her pleadingly.

"Hey!" another voice comes from behind me, interrupting our conversation. Tilly Lancaster.

"Yo," Lola grins at her. Then she turns back to me. "I gotta go, Tilly and I have dance."

I'm gobsmacked. "You and Tilly are friends?! She can't even dance!"

At this, Lola laughs. "She can dance really well. We're at the English Academy of Dance. It's a bit further away but we're still competing in Nationals. And honestly? I reckon we could win. Your studio is still a mess, even if you and Joe have sorted your shit out."

I'm lost for words.

"Thanks for offering though, and I hope you do well! Bye!"

And with that, Lola and Tilly leave, side by side laughing. We've lost her for good.

Joe's PoV
Dianne is sobbing when she turns up to the studio.

"What's wrong?!" I rush up to her.

"I failed," she sniffs.

I look at her, confused.

"Lola's with Tilly at the English Academy of Dance," she cries into my shoulder.

I wrap my arms around her. I decide now probably isn't the best time to tell her that the EAD is our biggest competitor at Nationals. But it worries me, and the rest of the team will find out soon. And Lola knows all our choreography. This is bad.

———

"WHAT?!" Shirley shrieks when we notify her that Lola isn't coming back and tell her where she's gone. "THE EAD?!"

"Right, we're re-choreographing everything," Neil says immediately. "We can't take risks that Lola won't inform them of everything or that she already has. We barely knew that kid, and she was part of an Internationals team. She'll do whatever it takes to win."

"I agree," Alesha nods. "Lola didn't know the solos, so they're fine. Joe and Dianne don't even have a duet so she can't know that. It's the small group and our semi finals and finals dances that are at risk."

"Get rid of the MCU dance," I say immediately. "I know that's the one we went through most, but it's the one I like the least and think it's actually our weakest."

"I think we should scrap both," Jack says. "The last thing we need is for them to do a dance to Fix You and it be better than ours."

"Well I can think of something," Shirley says. We all stare at her. "I was notified by the Nationals board yesterday that we were allowed to sing in one of our dances instead of play the backing track. It will still predominantly be judged on dance, but we can earn bonus points for singing and dancing together which people who don't sing and dance won't get."

"Brill," Amy says. "I recommend You Can't Stop The Beat from Hairspray."

"Nah, Juicy from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is better," Anna says.

"What about something from Matilda?" Chloe suggests.

"Does it have to be a musical theatre song?" Neil asks.

"No," Shirley says, "although it might help."

"Nah," Neil shakes his head, "I reckon we should do something from Glee."

"YES!" a wide group of dancers grin and jump about.

"Don't Stop Believin' is top tier," Jack says.

"What's wrong with Keep Holding On?" I say. "I loved that one."

"Nothing wrong with it," Jack shrugs. "It's just that Don't Stop Believin' is better."

"So everyone wants to do glee?" Shirley looks at us.

We all nod.

"The we'll do both those songs," she says. "Don't Stop Believin' can be the semi final routine, and Keep Holding On can replace Fix You as our finals routine."

"What about the other way round?" Amy asks.

"How about we just choreograph both and make them amazing and decide on the order later?" Dianne says.

"Yes," Shirley points at her. "That's the right idea. Today let's focus on Don't Stop Believin'. Regionals version from Season 1. Joe and Dianne will be singing Finn and Rachel's parts. Amy, you can be Santana. Jack, take Puck. AJ you'll be good at Kurt. Chloe take Mercedes and Anna you can be Quinn. Neil, you're Artie, but not to worry we won't be putting you in a wheelchair. Ellie can be Tina and Jordan you can be Mike. Everyone good?"

We all nod.

"Good. Now get started."

Hi guys just sobbing bc of the election results and the fact we're gonna have Boris fucking Johnson as prime minister and a tory government for five years. Had it, had enough. Thought I'd write a short chapter just to try and cheer myself and anyone else up.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've had all my deadlines and stuff and it's been hectic.

Bee xo