Epilogue

Dazai has some things he has learned to like now. For example, the cozy couch in the Armed Detective Agency's waiting room, the usual sound of fingers hitting the keyboard, papers being shuffled, and the soft murmurs of his coworkers.

Life has been a little brighter these past four years.

It's nearly evening, meaning office hours would be over soon and it would only be a while before Dazai could finally go home. As Dazai lay on the couch he started thinking what he should do once he gets home, maybe eat a can or two of his favorite crab in a can, of course it won't be complete without a few bottles of sake. Dazai's thoughts were cut off when he heard his name being called, when he look up he saw his coworker, Kunikida Doppo, a blonde, idealistic man.

"What are you still doing here?" Kunikida asked with narrowed eyes as Dazai removed his headphones.

"Oh. Hello Kunikida-kun." The brunette sang before he sat up. "Is it time to go home already?"

The blonde narrowed his eyes further. "Everyone left a moment ago. If you're planning to stay here overtime at least do some work, you suicidal maniac." Of course, Dazai knew everyone left a moment ago, he just decided it's another good time to mess with Kunikida.

"Ok~" Dazai remarked, unbothered. Then his head perked as he saw Kunikida carry a lot of folders. "Are you going to take them home?" He asked, pointing at it.

Kunikida clicked his tongue. "Let me remind you, 3/4 of this is supposed to be your work."

"No no. That's no good Kunikida-kun. You're not supposed to bring paperworks to your home, those papers did came from a stressful environment after all, like this office." The brunette motioned to the workplace. "Bringing them home would bring stress to your home and it wouldn't be as comfortable as before. Therefore you will no longer have a place to relax. It'll be hard to sleep at night with the aura of stress you've brought home, Kunikida-kun."

"Really?" The blonde leaned with interest. Dazai nodded even though what he said is a complete jest. Nothing is true about it.

"Yes, go on write it down."

When Kunikida started fumbling around to get his notebook, almost letting go of the folders in the process, Dazai sneakily got behind the blonde. And when his coworker snapped and turned his head furiously, that was Dazai's cue to dash.

"DAZAI YOU BASTARD!"

The brunette heard as he got outside. Afraid that Kunikida would catch up, Dazai immediately ran to the elevator and went down. And when he finally got outside the building, he leisurely took his time as he walk home.

Dazai had been staying at a dormitory owned by the Armed Detective Agency. A two-floor apartment with six rooms. When Dazai neared the dormitory, he didn't miss that the light in his room has been turned on. With a smile he entered the premises, got to his door and when he finally opened it he was met with the sight he loves the most.

"Ah, welcome home Dazai."

There, she smiled widely as the light of the setting sun shone on her face. With a step forward, she now stood before him. Dazai couldn't help it as a smile made it's way to his face too. He leaned down and placed his lips on her forehead.

"You're back, (F/N)."

She nodded and skipped over to the kitchen, his kitchen, as (F/N) live next door however she likes to stop by his place everyday. (F/N) began to rummage through his fridge and Dazai take it upon himself to take his coat off and went to another room where the round table was placed on the tatami floor.

"I didn't think my bodyguard mission would last for 2 days." (F/N) uttered as she padded through the room, 2 bottles of sake in one hand and a couple crabs in a can on the other. "It was tiring just standing there, waiting for any threats. In the end there was none so I am thankful it gone well."

Dazai said nothing, instead he watch her face making different expressions at the same time. He hummed as she continue to blabber. (F/N) noticed this and chuckled. The two had already sat down and enjoyed their drink.

"What?" She asked, still chuckling.

"Nothing. Just thinking you went straight here right after your mission." He noted, looking at the suit (F/N) had to wear for her mission.

"What do you mean? This happens all the time, even before we used to do this." She gestured at the sakes and crabs.

The brunette only let out a hum, his elbow resting on the table as he placed his chin on his palm. His other hand holding a sake bottle while he circle it slowly in the air.

"Ah, it's so hot." The (H/C) haired woman groaned. The next moment, she was fumbling on her suit jacket. She took it off then proceeded to untuck her white dress shirt, as she did so, Dazai caught sight of a certain scar on the side of her stomach.

He looked away and (F/N) noticed.

"What's wrong?"

Dazai smiled. "You look like a mafia member with that attire."

(F/N) said nothing and Dazai decided to look up to see her face. Unexpectedly, she's smiling sadly and suddenly scooted closer to him. Dazai welcomed her as she wrapped her arms around his torso, her cheeks pressed on his chest. Their body stick together as Dazai wrapped his arms around her, too.

"It wasn't your fault." Her voice was soothing.

"I didn't say anything, though." He pouted which caused (F/N) to suddenly whip her head up, almost hitting his chin.

"Yes, but I can tell you're thinking about it again." She showed a playful glare in the first time and then immediately changes into a warm smile. "I'm still here right? If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have made it."

Four years ago, when Dazai held (F/N)'s dying form in his arms, he thought it would be all over. But, when he still felt her breathing slowly and weakly, he immediately got her help. Although he was successful on keeping her alive, it has scarred Dazai so much. The thought of another person he cared about dying in his arms is terrifying and heavy in both his heart and soul. He had already lost Odasaku that day, he almost lost her too. It haunted him, and to this day he thinks it was his fault for not getting there earlier and for not getting help immediately.

Once again, Dazai remained silent, only tightening his grip on her. (F/N)'s smile widened and she went back on snuggling her face on his chest, she could hear his heartbeat and it was the kind of music she wanted to sooth her soul.

Dazai is here, within her arms. She's also here, within his. It's just like last time except that both of them found new and stronger resolve to keep each other safe and breathing.

Whenever Dazai look at (F/N), he was reminded of his days in the mafia. He was reminded of how she was always there despite of how much he had drowned further in the darkness. Now that they live in a more brighter life, that doesn't mean Dazai needs her less. In fact, he needs her more than ever.

He just loves her so, so much.

"(F/N)," he called to which she responded with a hum, "stay here.."

She shifted her head into a more comfortable position, releasing a breathe of satisfaction, she answered.

"Always."

--x