"No honey, I am your big sis. He is the monster, hit him not me." I explained but she wasn't having it. She could be so cute if she wasn't trying to take Ace.

"He deserves to know." Ace said softly.

"Know what?" My dad asked.

"Nothing." I told him trying not to spoil the mood.

"If you don't tell him then I will." Ace threatened and I took a deep breath.

"Fine. Dad do you know if mom was mentally ill?" I asked and he froze.

"Is this a trick question?"

"Sadly, no it's not."

"Oh. I have no idea. I always thought she was crazy though. I blamed everything on her parents and upbringing though."

"What do you mean?" I asked getting curious.

"Well this is a story I never told anyone before." He said and took a deep breath. "I met your mom when she was still in school. I was about 21 at the time and I worked at this diner that she used to frequent. Everyday after school she and her friend would come to the diner and sat in the corner without ordering anything. Her friend had flirted with me a few times but I never payed them any mind because they were both under aged girls. Over the next few months I would say more and more to them each day and eventually we became good friends. Well, one day your mom came to the diner and we were talking and this woman came in and dragged her from the seat and banded her from coming to the diner after school."

"A few weeks past and there was still no sign of your mom. I started to get worried but never did anything however, One day, her friend came into the diner without her and started flirting with me again. I asked her about your mom and she told me that her mom doesn't permit her to speak to males. Now I found that some load of bullsh*t but I decided to respect the mom's wishes. I hadn't spoken to your mom since. A few months later, the friend came back and invited me to her 18th birthday party. I figured why not? I would get a chance to see your mom. So I went, and turns out, It was your mom's birthday as well."

"She had snuck out the house to celebrate with her friend and her mom had no idea about it. That night we both got drunk and you know what happened next. The following morning I woke up in bed with her and we decided to commit our sins again. After that night, your mom and I had to sneak around just to be together. Her mom would beat her every time but she kept coming back to me. I asked her to run away with me on numerous occasions but she didn't want to leave her mom alone. She put up with all the abuse for a long time until little by little she was losing her self. I could see it and I kept asking her to run away with me."

"She was still in school but I was positive I could take care of her. Your grandma didn't like me but I truly loved her daughter."

"Why didn't she like you?" I asked nervously, my dad is such a sweet guy. Dad looked at Ace for a few seconds before responding. "Because I was Ace." The room fell silent and you could hear a pin drop. By now Elsie was asleep in Ace's arms and Ethan had fallen asleep on my lap.

My jaw fell to the floor and Ace and I looked at each other in shock. That explains so much.

"One night I received a call from your mom to come over and I found it strange how her voice kept quivering.. I should've called the cops then but I didn't. When I got to the house, I met your mom rolled up on the floor clutching her stomach. All I saw was red. I had pushed your grandma out of the way and rushed your mom to the hospital. That was the night I found out she was pregnant with you. I wanted to kill your grandmother so bad but I just couldn't risk losing you in the process. She had did quite a number on your mom though. She was all busted up and needed a few stitches here and there. When the nurses asked what happened, I told them but your mom denied everything so the case didn't went further. That was also the first time I felt as if there was something wrong with your mom."

"When she got better we eloped and I thought everything had gone back to normal. I had gotten a job and she had you we rented a little cozy apartment and everything was good. It wasn't until you were two that I noticed everything was not normal. She started acting like a crazy person and I tried to get her to see a psychiatrist but she would flip at me every time I suggested it saying that I was calling her crazy. I stayed with her another two years until she started loathing me for ruining her life and everything. She tried kicking me out a few times but each time I would threaten to take you with me. Well one night she had had enough and told me to get lost and she didn't want to see me again. I ignored her and we started fighting about it. It took a stab wound for me to see that she was being serious. So I left and would try to come back to visit you but she wouldn't allow it. I had no idea what had gotten into her. The sad part was that I was still in love with her even after all of that. Eventually, she got a restraining order and I wasn't allowed to see neither of you so I had to move on. She served the divorce papers and I signed them. I had a few months of therapy and met the most beautiful woman who decided that I was more than enough. She too was a little cranky but.." He said and Laura smacked him.

Tears fell from my eyes like a waterfall.  Was my mom really mentally ill?

My dad looked at me shocked. 

"Am I missing something?"

________________________________________________________________________________