Chapter 19

Krishna finished her dinner in kitchen and was washing the plates. "I need a some water", Veer's brooding voice startled her. She took a deep breath before turning towards him, "Water jug is placed in the bedroom". Veer was aware of it already but had to find an excuse to talk to her. 

The entire house was asleep but he couldn't bear to wait for next day. It may appear inappropriate to meet Krishna during late hours. But she is wife and he can atleast take liberty to talk to her. Krishna bought a glass of water and was ready to flee once giving it to him. But he mustered enough courage to breach the subject, "Krishna, we need to talk".

Krishna was scared and froze at her position. She was in a fight or flight mode. To their misfortune, she took the fight mode, "There is nothing to talk, Dr Veer". Veer got irked by her attitude. They both were at fault and maybe he carry more share of it. Yet when he was trying to address the issue, Krishna was showing attitude. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her back while she tried walk away. "I said we need to TALK". 

Krishna tried to wiggle out of his grip and Veer didn't relent. In his attempt to keep her captive, he pushed his body on her. Krishna panicked when she was trapped between him and wall. "Veer, leave me. This is highly inappropriate", she tried to put some sense into him. "Why do you behave as if we are strangers? Don't try to pretend that this is all new to you", he snapped at her.

Krishna got worried. She feared that he may try force himself on her. She was unable to face the humiliation that could follow later. With all her might, she pushed him away. Veer lost his balance and fell down to ground, knocking down many vessels along with him. She gasped in shock but before she could help him, Mehek reached the kitchen. "What happened?", she looked baffled.

Both Krishna and Veer took a moment to reflect before replying. "I came to get some water", Veer paused looking intently at Krishna. For a moment Krishna feared, he will put the blame on her to act as a good boy before his mother. Few false words from him could easily portray her as a vamp. "I slipped and fell", Veer lied to his mother. Krishna let out a breath of relief while Mehek help him up. Yet probing eyes of Mehek vexed Krishna. It was evident that Mehek was not convinced by Veer's words. Krishna excused herself and fled to her room.

Krishna woke up early morning or rather she didn't sleep whole night. She was afraid of Veer's reaction. It was evident that he was unhappy with her presence and will take action to remove her from the scene. She couldn't blame him either. After all, she was just part of his bad memories. Krishna too decided to leave Karuna Mansion before things got out of hand. 

Her future was indecisive but it was clear that she cannot remain employed to Khanna family. She wanted to leave it all and flee immediately but didn't have the heart to do so when she thought of Mehek Ma'am. She owed an explanation to the kind woman who always intended to help her. Krishna decided to have a word with Mehek in the morning itself. May be not the entire truth but she will inform her that she is unable to continue in her post. 

"Wow! You are an early riser", Krishna was startled by Shaurya's words. It was early morning when he found her in kitchen. She smiled and offered him a cup of tea. "I was about to walk around and inspect the grounds", he explained, "Why don't you join me, Krishna?". She agreed to accompany him

While walking, Shaurya talked to Krishna. She too found it easy to converse to him even when her mind was in turmoil. As they progressed, Shaurya understood that she is quiet smart and capable. Slowly he managed to drift their topics to family. Krishna seemed to enjoy his company. He narrated his and Mehek's love story to her. Krishna was surprised to hear that history of the lovely couple was not just roses.They had their own share of hardships.

 "Not just this mansion, this entire place holds a lot of value for us. I met Mehek here and fell in love with her instantly. She left me here in despair but I won her back also at the same place", Shaurya beamed with joy, recalling those days, "It is easy to fall for each other and easier to break up. The tougher part is to stay and understand one another to work out of your issues", he smiled at Krishna.

They sat at a comfortable place and Shaurya went on, "When I look back, we both had shortcomings. May be I am to be blamed more for our problems. We learned from our tough times that communication is the key. To sustain any relationship, one needs to talk and also listen. Many a time, love is not enough. You need trust and understanding". Krishna wasn't sure whether he was referring to her & Veer or just giving good advice to her. Either ways, she decided to give serious thought to his wise words.

"Krishna, I know you overqualified for a job of house keeper", Shaurya informed her. Before Krishna could explain, he told about their intention to turn Dr Harpreet's clinic into a charitable hospital. "My son is a Doctor and we thought it was best for him to be involved here. Nevertheless, he has his own career and cannot manage this project forever. We need someone who can run the show even during our absence. And I think you perfect candidate. So will you be able to foresee it?", he offered the job to her. Krishna was indecisive and couldn't gather her words. "No need to fret, Krishna. You don't have to reply now. For the time being start working with Veer and in time you can decide", Shaurya smiled at her and she nodded.

Once back in the mansion, they found Mehek and Veer at the dining room. Krishna took leave from Shaurya but before they part, he reminded her again, "Remember, communication is the key. Talk & listen". Krishna smiled and nodded in agreement.

"Krishna will assist you", Shaurya told Veer as he sat on the dining table. "Did she agree?", Mehek asked quickly. Shaurya glared at Veer who didn't dare to meet his father's eyes. Veer knew that his father unhappy with last night's events. He replied to Mehek but his eyes were still on Veer, "She agreed for now and let's hope that she won't change her mind". 

"I am sure she will be fine", Mehek was optimistic and turned to Veer, "What do you say, Veer?". "I need to get ready for the day", Veer dodged her question and  tried to excuse himself. He felt bad to be amidst his parents who wanted to reprimand him. "Son", Mehek called him. For a moment Veer thought his mother was also going to rebuke him but she smiled at him, "All the best, my Dear".