Chapter 1. Doing the "right" thing

Vanya couldn't breath. She thought her lungs were squeezed out dry. Thranduil was beyond shock and grief. The woman that his son is marrying is the only woman he would set aside his titles for. Although he cared for Legolas' mom still it was an arranged marriage, elves could only love once. Never did he ever love an elleth in all of his life until he met Vanya, he wasn't so sure if it was love but he knew it was something growing strong.

"Vanya, are you well?" Elrond asked his daughter, it seems like Vanya would collapse any moment. She held on to one of the chairs tightly as she whispered for everyone to hear, "I need fresh air." as she stumbled out the room. Elrond, Thranduil, and Legolas wanted to help her but they knew that she needed time to herself. As she was finally outside she took a deep breath in hopes of making everything go away, but it didn't.

"Vanya!" Arwen squealed as she ran up to Vanya and tackled her into a hug. "I've seen it," she giggled "You in a lovely white satin gown, flowers in your hair, flowers everywhere! Oh, you should have seen it--you will see it soon! It was so beautiful, the elves from Lothlorien were singing and oh... the groom is so handsome! Prince of Greenwood." Vanya felt sick to her stomach. Marrying a man just because Grandmother deemed it right. "What's wrong?" Arwen asked, Vanya held onto a pillar and said "I cannot face this." "What? I think it is exciting to be marrying a man of mystery... who knows you might fall in love with him soon!" Arwen said as she started walking around me in circles.

"No. I want to marry a man when I'm ready... but... I can't. It is written in stone." Vanya said softly not making any eye contact. "Who knows! This Prince might be the one!" Arwen said dreamily. "I..." could Vanya tell Arwen? She knew she would trust her sister with her life. "I think I am in love with somebody else." Arwen started squealing and jumping up and down until the doors to their father's library opened and in strutted the Prince of Greenwood behind him stood Elrond and Thranduil. Elrond looked concerned while Thranduil didn't know how to feel. He couldn't hate his son for he was force into this. All he wanted to do was grab Vanya's hand and dance with her once more and maybe dance for an eternity.

Legolas stood in front of Vanya as Arwen backed up to stand next to her father. Legolas grabbed Vanya's hand as he stared into her eyes. "Vanya of Rivendell, daughter of Lord Elrond... We may not have known each other but will you be mine forever?" Vanya could tell that Legolas was forcing himself to say this for their sake. Vanya wanted to shoot someone with a bow at the same time cry her eyes out. Vanya looked up to her father and sister who looked worried but at the same time proud but as her eyes traveled to the one person who she wanted to spend the whole night with, her heart stopped. Just by looking into his eyes she could tell he was begging her to say no but at the same time yes so the writings in the stone wouldn't be her death.

Was he even married?

He has a son, "Yes." Vanya croaked out. Legolas smiled and kissed her cheek. Elrond clapped his hands as he said "I shall announce to the whole kingdom." Vanya felt like her whole world was crashing down right now. Elrond left along with Arwen who trailed behind him. Legolas noticed how pale Vanya was so he said "I'll give you sometime alone." as he caressed her cheek. Vanya wanted to swat his hand away but she didn't want to be rude. Legolas left leaving only Vanya and Thranduil facing each other. Both didn't want to say anything. Vanya couldn't take it.

She let out a sob as she fell to her knees. Her shoulders started trembling violently as she covered her mouth to make sure no one else heard her crying. Thranduil's heart broke by the scene. His heart swam in grief as he watched Vanya cry. Instead of watching her any further he approached her, he wrapped his arms around her putting her head in the crook of his neck. Vanya soaked into the warmth of Thranduil, all the questions that she wanted to ask him disappeared just for this moment. He was warm and smelt of oak and embers of fire. They stayed like that a few minutes.

Once Vanya got tired of crying she pulled away and looked into the depths of Thranduil's eyes. "I don't know what to do." Vanya cried softly. Thranduil cupped her face and said "You have to follow the writings on stone." Not the answers Vanya was looking for. "But... I want to get to know you, I want to look into your eyes everyday seeing that smile of yours." Vanya said all too quickly not afraid to put her heart out there in the open. Thranduil smiled as he wiped a few tears from her face, he felt the same way. He wanted to set aside his crown to be with her, but he can't. They can't.

"Believe me Vanya... if we could, I would've made it happen. I would make sure that everyday a smile will shine on your face. That you would be the happiest elleth in the world, but we simply just can't." Thranduil said, Vanya wanted to travel to where her mother is and slap the God who is responsible for the prophecy of any written stones. Vanya knew she wanted to be with Thranduil. She could feel her heart screaming his name. "I'm not giving up on you." she said, Thranduil frowned knowing exactly what the consequences was if she did not obey the writings on the stone. Thranduil then tried explaining to her "But you'll know what happens to you if you don't obey."

"Yes, I know clearly what will happen but I rather die happy than regret my decision for the rest of eternity." Vanya said, no longer crying. Thranduil learned something about Vanya, her stubbornness. He was scared that she would disobey. How could he feel this way for her even if it's been a day?

Thranduil stood up knowing what he had to do if he was to forget the one woman he was willing to give up his crown for. He had to do the right thing. "You will drop this subject and do your duty." Thranduil said coldly he regretted it once he saw Vanya flinch, but it was the only way. Thranduil turned around and started walking but Vanya grabbed his arm and said "So that's it? You're not gonna fight for me?" Without turning around Thranduil answered "Stop putting your heart in those books of yours Vanya, they are only just stories." this made Vanya hurt the most. She opened up to him to only get hurt, but that was her mistake she barely knew the ellon and already opened up to him.

Vanya's pride was slowly starting to rise. As she stood up even though she wasn't taller than Thranduil. Glaring at the back of his head she said "Fine, I will do my duty. I will marry your son. I will bear his children. I'll forget you... you'll be nothing to me. Besides tonight was just a figment of my imagination." she didn't believe one word she said though. "Correct, nothing but a King asking his daughter-in-law to dance with him so he could know who his son is marrying." Thranduil said.

Vanya turned around to retreat to her chambers.

Thranduil walked away to the chambers he was temporarily staying in.

Both determined to forget one another.