Chapter 17. Wedding Bells

This was no ordinary day in Rivendell. As the elves prepared for a wedding, not your usual elven wedding, but a wedding that could be unforgettable. It wasn't extravagant nor was it the biggest feast but it was a day that Vanya has always dreamed of.

Flowers were decorated through out Rivendell, Vanya's favorite flowers. Beautiful cloths draped around columns and hung above to make as ceilings. An elleth played a harp that echoed through the waterfalls. Vanya was in a beautiful white gown and although she wanted to look her best, she was having problems for she lost too much weight. 

"I look hideous." she said as she stared in the mirror. Tauriel and Arwen stood behind her trying to cheer her up. The gown clung to her body but there were parts that didn't touch her body because she was too skinny. She felt as if the flowers decorated in her hair were too heavy for her head. "No you don't, you look beautiful." Arwen said as she grabbed her sister by the shoulders. Vanya sighed in sadness but winced a bit when she felt pain.

"Believe us Lady Vanya, you are beautiful." Tauriel repeated for the second time. Vanya's silver eyes drifted else where for she felt too sad to look at her own reflection. "And if you don't believe us, then I'll make sure that each elleth would look slightly hideous so you can be the most beautiful elleth in Rivendell." Arwen said as she teased Tauriel with scissors as she grabbed Tauriel's hair making Tauriel go pale. Obviously, Arwen was joking.

Vanya chuckled but then said "You are the evenstar Arwen, you can make hideous beautiful." Arwen stared at her sister while Tauriel took the scissors out of Arwen's hands. "Don't you say that sister! We are blood related... what I can do... you can." Arwen said. Vanya sighed as she felt even more weak than before. She could barely walk by herself. 

Elladan and Elrohir then made a very dramatic entrance in Vanya's room. "Oh dear brother, our sister is finally getting married." Elladan said through fake tears while Elrohir faked sneezed into a cloth. Arwen rolled her eyes. "Bunch of incompetent fools." Arwen commented on their little act while Elladan and Elrohir burst out laughing. "So my wee sister is getting married." Elrohir said then Elladan added "To a King."

"Aye, that's hard to beat brother. I don't know if there are husband-less queens out there." Elladan said. "I won't become queen." Vanya commented. "Uh... sister you know you're marrying the king of Greenwood?" Elrohir asked. 

"Yes I know," Vanya said "What I also know is Legolas will become King making Tauriel Queen... not me."

Everyone was silent for a while until Tauriel spoke up "But Vanya... you do know you are Legolas don't have much time." then it dawned on Vanya that Legolas won't be able to survive as well. The silence consumed the room as all their eyes awkwardly gaze elsewhere. "You two, out! You caused enough trouble. I do not want the bride to be worrying." Arwen said as she put some cream upon my face.

"Why? Afraid she might get wrinkles?" Elladan jokingly asked as Arwen threw a book at them but she missed when both twins literally jumped out the door. "I swear, I'll be the one with wrinkles if I have to live another decade with them." Arwen commented.

It wasn't long till Vanya was finally ready to walk down the aisle. She knew it wasn't tradition wedding, that this was more of the mortal wedding. But for some reason, she loved the mortal's tradition. She found it more meaningful. Elrond was holding Vanya as they waited for their cue to walk down the aisle. 

"Are you ready for this?" Elrond asked his daughter. "Aye, I've never been more ready." she answered. "You're not nervous?" Elrond asked his eyebrows stitching up. "I've read so many times that you can get nervous for the wedding. However, I am not nervous. I got butterflies ada... butterflies." Vanya said excitingly. 

Elrond's jaw clenched as he repeated the word "Butterflies... butterflies." He didn't understand but just nodded.

The bells of Rivendell rung and Elrond gave a slight squeeze on Vanya's arm. "Don't let me fall." Vanya said and Elrond nodded. He carefully glided Vanya down the aisle and at the end of the aisle stood Thranduil. Wearing his finest robes. Vanya's eyes were only on Thranduil and Thranduil's eyes never left Vanya.

Elrond gave Vanya to Thranduil as he took his place in front of them facing the crowd. "You look beautiful." Thranduil commented Vanya. Vanya blushed and her eyes widen when she looked at Thranduil "You're not wearing your crown." she said. Just noticing that there was no crown nor circlet on Thranduil's head. "I thought you wanted me to be Thranduil, the ellon you met. Not some king of Greenwood... well, you are marrying the king of Greenwood." Thranduil said.

"I love the gesture." Vanya said. Vanya winced once more the pain was increasing by the second but she did not voice out her pain nor did she let it show. Today was an important day for her and she refuses to let it hurt her and turn in one of those sad days. Today is supposed to be filled with happiness. Pain or no pain she will accomplish the happiness.

The ceremony continued and when Elrond finally pronounced them husband and wife, the bells of Rivendell rung with joy as Thranduil was about to kiss Vanya as everyone in the crowd stood up and applaud the newly wed couple. But Thranduil's lips never met Vanya's for blackness took over her, and Legolas who collapsed in the crowd. 

Leaving a heart wrenching moment for everyone.