Chapter 11. Lack of air

It was the feast.

The day before the wedding. 

Elleths and ellons from a far journeyed their way here to the Woodland realm. Vanya was dressed in a very fancy blue dress with jewels decorated every inch of the silk fabric. An elegant circlet sat on her head with a sapphire in the middle. They say that this feast was tradition here in the Woodland realm. 

She says it was totally foolishness. 

Thranduil's POV

Guest were arriving as I quickly put the final touch of my outfit, my wooden crown. My silver and velvet robes reached the floor and glimmered in the candle light. 

"Thranduil."

A voice spoke that sent shivers down my spine. I turned around to face the lady of light. "Lady Galadriel." I greeted her with my hand touching my head. "Excited for the feast?" she asked me softly as she started pacing the room. "Aye, my heart though seeks more of relief when I step down as King." I replied. She stopped pacing as she faced me with a raised eyebrow. 

"Relief? I hardly think you'll be relieved when you are not king, Thranduil, you love being king." 

You could never lie to her. "What is it that you are excited about for this feast my friend?" she asked once more. As hard headed as I am, I lied again. "To see my son's happiness."

"Rather to see someone is more like it." she said inside my head.

"You feel something for my granddaughter... I do not blame you, she is quite a lady. Though I shall remind you that she is taken." she said. "I am well aware of that." I spoke almost like I was defending myself. "But I am not quite sure where this talk is going to." I added. She slowly walked towards the door without a word that's until she was about to exit she turned towards me and said "I should warn you Thranduil, you might be my friend but my granddaughter's fate is tied to that stone... Do not be the cause of her death." Then she left. 

My knuckles were as white as snow, not because I wanted to punch lady Galadriel, but because my dear Vanya's fate was tied to a bloody stone.

 Third person POV:

Vanya fanned herself as much as she could but no matter how much she fanned herself with her hand fan she feels as if all the air left the room. The dress was too tight for her liking, it felt as if the dress was wearing her. 

"Nervous?" Legolas asked as he appeared  beside Vanya both had matching colors, he had on a fancy blue tunic decorated with gems and a circlet on his head with pants and boots. Vanya gave a soft smile and nodded "Nervous? More like suffering from lack of air." Legolas gave a polite chuckle. "I am quite excited especially at the ride going there." this perked Vanya's interest at the same time she was surprised. "The feast isn't here?" 

"No, the feast is in the forest only elves know where it's located... our carriage will take the elven path and we will travel under the dark tall trees then we'll see the stars and we'll arrive at the cliff that gives a perfect view of the rest of the forest and the deepest lake in Arda." 

(A//N: This is not the geography of Middle Earth--it's my own,) 

"Sounds beautiful." Vanya commented as her mind was currently taken off from the lack of air. "Aye, it is... Although, I've never seen it up close or seen it at all. My naneth would tell me stories of her wedding with ada, saying it is one of the most unforgettable nights of her life." Vanya pictured their wedding and felt as if maybe it was better this way that she was marrying Legolas. 

Legolas has never treated her in an ill way, she's lucky if anybody ever read her story.

***

Riding in the carriage and through the dark forest they went they finally saw the stars. Legolas and Vanya looked at them with much adoration. "It is much more than my naneth has described them." he said. They were mesmerized by the beauty that the stars offered that night. 

Suddenly the path towards their destination was decorated by candles, and light music could be heard. Once they arrived at the feast where everyone was waiting and Thranduil was in the middle. Vanya had no choice because the moment she saw everyone her eyes dragged over to the person who caught her eye. 

"Welcome! The soon to be married couple, Prince Legolas of the Woodland realm and Lady Vanya of Rivendell." Thranduil announced earning an applause from the people around him. Guards stood on the sides guarding the people while the middle of the garden was decorated almost for the wedding itself. Legolas and Vanya stood together the whole night accepting congratulations and blessings from different people. 

It was when Vanya and Legolas stood at the edge of the cliff talking with Vanya's siblings, laughing and sharing fond memories. "It is a shame that Vanya here has less laughable stories." Elrohir said but Elladan added "But she stays indoors like father being such a bookworm." That earned a jab from Vanya. Vanya kept fanning herself thinking that the air might leave her body any moment now. 

She stared at the beautiful lake that reflected the stars and moon, there were no rocks at the bottom and it looked like an endless lake as her keen eyes couldn't see the bottom. Laughs and cheers could be heard from behind as the to be wedded couple and Vanya's siblings turned around to see Elrond holding up his goblet of wine towards the couple with a wide smile plastered on his face which was really rare to see. 

"To my daughter and her soon-to-be, may your love be eternal!" Which earned an applause and cheers from the people. Legolas smiled and nodded towards Elrond as if saying he would keep his daughter safe and stay faithful to her. 

Thranduil held up his goblet as well to agree and cheer for the couple but his eyes were only locked with Vanya instead of his son. Not that he doesn't love his son but he admired how beautiful Vanya looked in the light of the moon and stars. 

But nothing could compare to the horror that filled Thranduil's eyes as he saw Vanya shut her eyes and body go limp as she fell off the cliff.    

He couldn't hear anything except Arwen's blood curling scream.