Chapter 14. Breaking the stone

It has been a week since Vanya felt that excruciating pain, so did Legolas. The company has decided to go to Rivendell and try breaking the stone. Elrond said it was impossible but there was still hope that if anybody could break the stone then they could also break the prophecy. Almost like a contract. Legolas and Vanya could still walk but every now and then they would feel pain.

Clang! 

Clang!

The warriors of Rivendell including Elladan and Elrohir trying to break the stone with swords but each time their sword would meet the stone, sparks of fire would fly and the sound of their sword bouncing off the stone or even breaking. No one gave up hope that day or any of the days. Much to Thranduil's disliking they invited the neighboring dwarves to come and break the rock with their axs. 

Although, it was a bit difficult to persuade them but they were always up for a little competition even if it included pointed ear folk. Their axs shattered into pieces and each weapon that failed to break the stone Thranduil grew anxious. Elrond performed tricks and tried even using his magic but to no avail. 

They invited Mithrandir and even Radagast himself but it seemed as if the stone would never break. The stone stood proudly in the gardens in the shape of almost a tombstone. Legolas even tried giving it a try but still he was weak and couldn't do much of sword wielding. Days have passed and the stone still stood stubbornly on the ground. 

Galadriel and Celeborn took no part in this. Their mind is still set on the prophecy though they did warn them of all consequences. Even Galadriel's last words haunted everyone's mind.

"There is no way to break the stone or the prophecy." 

Vanya laid in her bed reading once more her favorite book, she enjoyed the sun that shined in her room and she breathed in the fresh air. "Meleth nin, how are you faring?" Thranduil entered her chambers. Vanya pushed herself up feeling the weakness in her body almost as if she was mortal. 

"I am well, but I feel as if I am in the body of a mortal rather than my own." she spoke still gracefully. Thranduil's face had concern and sadness written all over it. He did not know what to do but to hope for the best. Thranduil sat next to Vanya as he put Vanya's head on his lap. He ran his hands through her dark locks. 

Vanya closed her eyes and enjoyed the feeling. Even though she knew she was meeting her death sooner or later but still she has never felt more alive as she read her favorite book in the sunlight while lying on her love's lap. To her it was the most magnificent feeling. "Have you heard meleth nin?" Vanya asked Thranduil. 

"Mm?"

"Tauriel has returned Legolas' feelings." she told him as her eyes stayed shut and she smiled. Thranduil tried his best to keep himself from storming over to his son and knock some sense into him. Thranduil did not like the idea of his son pledging himself to a lowly silvan elf. His heart did not have the strength to do what he would've done, his heart belonged to Vanya and although she is the daughter of the Lord of Rivendell still she had no title of her own. 

"I've heard." Thranduil said stoically this made Vanya burst out in a fit of giggles as she sat up and faced Thranduil. "I know you want to go to Legolas and tell him how foolish of a decision he is making... though you are not, I am proud of you my Thranduil." she said as she leaned in and kissed him upon the lips. Thranduil held her near by her waist as her arms wrapped around his neck as they shared a passionate kiss. 

As Thranduil pulled away almost instantly to look into her silver eyes, he could hear Vanya whimper from the space between them. Vanya stared into Thranduil's eyes wondering why he pulled back. "My heart belongs to you Vanya." Thranduil said. Vanya smiled as she hugged him with her head upon his chest. "And mine is yours." she replied.

They both cuddled up as they watched the sun disappear from the sky.

***

Another week has passed by and still the stone has yet to be broken. Thranduil stood beside Vanya as they watch from warrior to warrior try to break the stone. Vanya couldn't stand up for long so as time passed by she leaned into Thranduil and he was almost holding her up the whole time. Mithrandir and Radagast worked on different miracles to try to break the stone but they still stayed near the stone in case they ideas on how to break it.

Elrond stood at the top of the stairs and if looks could kill the stone would be more dead than Smaug, his eyebrows spoke things louder than words. 

Legolas and Tauriel sat on the grass nearby the stone as they watched and prayed for the stone to be gone. Arwen stood by her sister rubbing small circles on her shoulders. When suddenly Legolas and Vanya cried out in pain as they felt the pain in their chest but this time it increased. Thranduil and Arwen tended to Vanya as Tauriel tended to Legolas. Thranduil torn by two people who he loves, he felt more pain beyond imaginable. 

Once Elladan and Elrohir were by Vanya, Thranduil quickly tended to his son. Elrond glared at everyone and everything, he then sighed in frustration as he got out his own sword and approached the stone. Everyone stared at Elrond curiously, it would be his first attempt in breaking the stone himself with his sword rather than his magic. 

He held up his sword and let out a battle cry as he brought the force down upon the stone but unfortunately it only created sparks of fire. Elrond gave out another battle cry as he hit the stone repeatedly like a mad elf. Elladan approached his father once his sword was tossed to the side and he was panting heavily. Elladan helped his father to his own chambers and once Elrond was alone in his chambers was the moment he let his tears fall. 

"There's no breaking that stone." Radagast spoke up. "Ah, but there is always ways to break a prophecy... But there is always a trick to it." Mithrandir said. "But Gandalf, that's why it's called the unbreakable stone." Radagast argued. "Aye! You are right my friend, but just like Smaug the great... there was one way to kill him. My point is that there is always a way." Mithrandir said.

Arwen let a few tears escape her eyes as she held her sister on the grass. She kissed her sister's forehead and whispered "We must keep hope." 

The Rivendell twins tried everyday to break the stone even if there was no hope. 

But to Vanya there was always hope.