Chapter 16- Fire Battle

This is gonna be a pretty quick chapter, since I've been getting bad headaches these past few days, and can't really write much because of them..

". . . Wait, so you're telling me I have to catch those?"

Small bugs, ranging from only a few inches to over two feet long crawled around in the grass around Gloria. They were crimson, and had a tiny flame around their mouths.

"Scor," Tuff breathed with disdain, her gaze traveling around herself and looking at the insects in disgust.

"Sizzli!" One of the insects snuck up from behind, crawling onto the rabbit's leg.

"Bunny!" Tuff cried out, running around in an effort to shake the bug off. "Scorbunscorbunscorbun—"

"Quick, use Double Kick!" At the command, Tuff immediately kicked the Sizzlipede off of her other leg, before slamming her other foot down onto it. Gloria threw a Poké Ball and it was caught.

"Great. One down, two more to go!" Gloria handed Sizzlipede's Poké Ball to the Gym organizer. After all, she had no use for a Sizzlipede on her Team.

"Bun. . ." Tuff's eats drooped, unpleased at the news of having to battle at least two more Sizzlipedes; she just wanted to leave this bug-infested land and battle the Gym Leader.

"Hey, at least it's better than having to herd Wooloo while being chased or trying to get through a water maze," Gloria told her, remembering Milo's and Nessa's Gym trials.

"Scorbun," Tuff muttered, dribbling a pebble on her feet and knees before kicking it straight at a Sizzlipede. Gloria smiled and threw a Poké Ball, catching the bug. Only one more to go. . .

Their final Sizzlipede was caught soon after, meaning Gloria had completed the trial.

She took a breath in the hallway leading onto the pitch, trying to calm her nerves. "Okay, so Tuff, I'm going to lead off with you, since Kabu's a Fire-Type specialist." Tuff nodded, grinning at the thought of more battling.

"Ohmygosh I'm so nervous." She was still a bit worried about having Penny battle, and Thunder was too inexperienced to be of any help on the field. That left only Tuff and Valiant.

She took a breath and pulled out her phone, still waiting for the announcer to call out her name. And she needed something to distract herself from the nervousness she felt rising inside her; might as well refresh herself on Tuff's moveset. "Double Kick, Flame Charge, Quick Attack and Ember. Okay, so we'll begin with—" She stiffened as she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"It's best to calm down before a match. A clear head is better than one that's cluttered with thoughts." Kabu spoke in a serious voice, though his eyes were kind. "Milo and Nessa already warned me about how tough you are as an opponent." His gaze traveled to her Dynamax Band. "I'd suggest Dynamaxing your Corvisquire when the time comes for it. Oh, and when Dynamaxing your Pokémon, their movesets change slightly as well. The move you'd want to use is 'Max Airstream.'" He patted her shoulder. "Good luck."

"Th-thanks. . ." Gloria muttered, watching as he trotted out onto the field. She glanced back at Tuff and shrugged before following the Gym Leader. He seems. . . nice.

The two left to opposite sides of the field, the audience cheering and chanting their names. And Gloria had to admit, it did give her a small sense of pride to hear people chanting for her name to win.

"Let the match between Kabu Akagi and Gloria Shield. . . Begin!"

"Tuff, let's go!" Gloria threw her arm out in front of her, Tuff sprinting ahead. The Scorbunny leaped up into the air, doing a complete flip before landing back on her paws.