Chapter 3- New Partner

"Gloria? Gloria, are you okay? Wake up!"

"Ugh. . ." Gloria groaned and opened her eyes slowly. The first thing she saw was Hop's face as he knelt over her. His concerned look quickly melted into one of gratefulness.

"You're alive!" He stood up straight and stretched his arm out to Gloria.

"Yeah, I guess I am. . ." She lifted her arm up to him, only to wince in pain and let it fall at her side. "Ow, ow."

Instantly Hop was back at her side, worry lacing his features. "Are you okay? Can you get up?"

Gloria nodded her head. "I'm fine— it's nothing." Fighting through the pain, she sat upright. Her back ached and her head throbbed, leaving her in a very uncomfortable state.

"You're not fine," Hop told her, reading through her lie. Or perhaps he was looking at her face; Gloria was sure that she wasn't hiding her hurt that well. "Let me help you." He moved his arms toward her.

"No!" Gloria said suddenly. "I can get up, just. . . give me time."

"Hop! Gloria!" Hop whirled his head around, only to see his brother running towards them. He was wearing his Champion outfit, with his long ruby cape railing behind him. He stopped once he was beside them both. "I came running when you guys didn't show up. I've been waiting for nearly an hour, and I started to get—"

"Lee," Hop cut him off. "Gloria's hurt."

Leon tensed. "Gloria?" He crouched down next to her.

"I told Hop before that I'm fine." Gloria rubbed her arms with her hands, feeling embarrassed by the brothers' attention. "It's just a little bruise, that's all."

"She can't get up!" Hop told Leon, speaking for Gloria once again.

"I. . ." Leon began, but trailed off.

"Yes I can!" Gloria jumped to her feet, only to wince as her back burned. Her head felt fuzzy too, and she squeezed her eyes shut. She could feel herself shrink down from the unbearable pain in her head and back, and barely registered when Hop caught her in his arms.

"I've got you," he whispered into her ear. Gloria made no acknowledgement that she heard him, and still clutched her head as she waited for the pain to subside.

As she finally managed to regain herself, Gloria opened her eyes, looking first at Hop beside her, then at Leon. "I-I'm sorry about that," she whispered. "I stood up too fast. . ."

Neither person said anything for what seemed like forever. Finally Leon spoke up.

"How about we get you back to your house, Gloria? You can stay there until you're feeling better."

"What? No!" Gloria shook her head quickly, biting her lip as her headache returned. "I'm fine, I promise!" She moved away from Hop, as if proving her point.

Leon sighed. "Listen, I know that you want to appear strong and all in front of my brother—" Hop flinched "—but you need to realize when enough's enough."

"No," she argued. "I've been waiting for over a third of my life to finally get a Starter Pokémon, and now that I have one, you're telling me that I can't start my journey?!" She froze. "Wait, where's Tuff?" Her brown eyes searched around for the fiery Scorbunny.

"I returned it to its Poké Ball," Hop told her. "It's safe with me."

That apparently wasn't enough for Gloria. "What about the Wooloo? The whole reason we came here in the first place?" Her brown gaze searched Hop for an answer.

"If you're talking about this little guy, then he's fine." Leon pointed to a fluffy white Wooloo behind him. "Now, come on. Let's get you back to your house so you can rest."