Chapter 6- New Faces

(Beddddeeee!!!! Marniiiieeeee!!!)

Gloria wobbled a bit as they were sent up to the top of a cliff. If it wasn't for Hop, she most definitely would've fallen. Victor, however,  seemed unfazed by it all.

While they had been walking into the city, Victor and Gloria had had a brief conversation about themselves.

Apparently, Victor was seventeen— two years older than Gloria and Hop— and had no family. He was saved by Professor Magnolia when she gave him Brook and a Pokédex. Finally he had something to look forward to, he had told Gloria. "Completing the 'Dex is now my number one goal."

They were currently in Motostoke. The beautiful, industrialized city was much bigger than any Gloria had ever seen. A mixture of old and new shops dotted the sides of the streets, though nearly all of them were closed, due to how late it was.

In the heart of the city, there was a steep cliff, which also happened to be where their destination was located. There was an old machine built into the side of the cliff, and by twisting a few gears, it lifted up a metal platform up harshly to the top. For someone like Gloria who hadn't expected the sudden movement, the action was enough to make her a bit unsteady.

"You okay?" Victor's voice met her ears, bringing her back to the present. His face seemed full of concern for her wellbeing.

"Yes, I'm fine," Gloria said to him. She found her footing and walked past Hop to go to the brunette.

Victor smiled at the girl as she joined him. "Tired?" He asked as he noticed her slow steps and sleepy eyes.

"Huh?" She blinked and turned her head toward him. "Oh, yeah. A bit."

Victor chuckled. "Well, stay awake for a little longer, because we still need to check in for the Gym Challenge. Afterwards, you can go to the Budew Inn and rest up for as long as you want."

Gloria nodded and glanced at a tall hotel to the left. "You sure know a lot about everything."

Victor shrugged. "Let's just say that I have been looking forward to this for a long time." His words were smooth, relaxing, even, and Gloria found herself staring into nothingness as Victor entered a building.

"Gloria." Hop caught up to her and glanced down.

"What's wrong?" Gloria knew exactly when her best friend was feeling upset about something.

Hop opened his mouth like he wanted to say whatever it was that was bothering him, but stopped just before he could. "It's nothing. Come on."

Gloria felt a frown make its way onto her face. Why was Hop acting so strange? She followed him into the building.

The inside was huge. Brick made up the walls and a few pillars in the middle of the room. Big banners drifted down from the ceiling to only a few feet off of the floor. A red fire-patterned carpet covered the ground. At the far end of the room, there was a table with a man sitting beside it, looking exhausted. Behind him was a wall of gray glass.

"Gloria! Hop!" Victor waved to them as they entered. Gloria smiled and sped to meet him. "We just need to check in here. It really should only take a few minutes."

"Right," Gloria replied, glancing around at the empty place. "I guess everyone else is asleep, huh?"

Victor nodded at her before turning to the man behind the counter. "My name's Victor Sword. . ." He proceeded to tell him his birthday and hometown, Turffield, as well as other information. He winked and patted Gloria's back when he was finished. "Go on."