"I... wanted to apologize for the whole prom thing." The last part comes out in one breath, and the idea of being sorry leaves an odd taste on Taehyung's tongue.

Jeongguk looks so surprised that Taehyung isn't sure if he should feel insulted or not. "I didn't mean to put you on the spot like that." The younger's expression drops into a frown, and he turns away from Taehyung.

"People are angry with me," he says so quietly, Taehyung has to lean forward to hear it. "They keep calling me names in the hallways. It's nothing new but... I didn't do anything."

There's a strange tightness to Taehyung's skin, and his face flushes. This must be what guilt feels like.

"I don't like attention on me, Taehyung," Jeongguk mumbles, the heels of his feet kicking at the ledge. "And... I don't even know you that well. Why would you ask me to a dance?"

Now It's Taehyung who's frowning. He wonders why people wouldn't like attention. He craves it, he lives for it, for everyone to be paying attention to him. It's odd when people aren't talking about him. Namjoon had explained that not everyone grew up in the spotlight like Taehyung did. Maybe it's because he's poor.

"I'm... sorry," Taehyung bites out, keeping his eyes trained on the floor. His fists are clenched in his pockets. Why is this so fucking hard? Why am I trying this hard for the school nerd? "I... didn't mean to.. put you in that position."

Jeongguk sighs, shaking his head. "It's alright," he says, like it's the easiest thing in the world to apologize, to sweep away Taehyung's admittedly asshole-ish behaviour. Taehyung looks up in surprise, about to say something, but he bites his tongue when he notices how exhausted Jeongguk looks.

"...What are you doing up here during lunch?" Taehyung asks instead of the other questions burning in his mind.

"I do homework up here. It's quiet," is Jeongguk's response.

Taehyung frowns. "Homework? What about your friends?" Jeongguk shoots him an incredulous look, like the answer is obvious.

"I don't have friends here, Taehyung," Taehyung's eyebrows furrow in confusion. "No rich person wants to associate with the poor people." Jeongguk's tone isn't bitter. He sounds sad, accustomed. Weary.

And Taehyung wants to open his mouth and deny it, but any refutal comes up short because he realizes Jeongguk is right. Bangtan Academy was for the elite in South Korean society. Anyone whose parents were important came here. And Jeongguk is an anomaly, a stain on the white carpet of the upper class.

"I'll be your friend!" Taehyung blurts suddenly, and before he can look up to see Jeongguk's no-doubt judgemental expression, he props himself up on the ledge next to the younger boy. He smiles his signature box smile-- no one can resist it-- and looks at Jeongguk expectantly.

"A-are you sure that's a good idea?" Jeongguk stammers. Taehyung shrugs, unzipping his bag and pulling out his lunch. He lays out all the side dishes and rice on the space between him and Jeongguk. "I don't think that would be good for your reputation."

But I need you if I want to keep my reputation, Taehyung thinks, shrugging. "I don't really care about my reputation." Jeongguk looks at Taehyung, dubious, but the older boy just shrugs it off. He gets out his chopsticks and digs into the rice.

"Aren't you gonna eat your lunch too?" Taehyung asks, mouth still half full of food, when he realizes Jeongguk is staring out over the ledge and not paying attention to him. Jeongguk looks at the food at his side, and bites his lip before shaking his head.

"Not hungry," he says quietly, and just as he speaks the words, his stomach growls loudly. Jeongguk's cheeks flare in embarrassment, and he ducks his head down. Taehyung narrows his eyes, staring at Jeongguk for a moment. And it occurs to him that maybe Jeongguk can't afford to eat lunch every day.