Chapter 27

P U R I T Y

"I'm gonna go order a slice of that cake. Want some?" I shake my head and she turns to Kade, "Kade?"

He perks up from looking at his phone once he hears his name being mentioned. Caroline repeats what she said, then with a nod of his head Care is off to the register with money in hand.

I rest my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes for a few seconds before opening them back up, "I know you've probably got stacks of work to do. I'm sorry for dragging you out."

Kade finishes typing then looks away from his device, "You didn't drag me out, Ives, no more apologising. It's just two emails I have to finish writing then I'm all yours. Promise."

"You can head back to the hotel, y'know, I won't mind at all."

"You tryna' kick me outta' here?" He smiles down at me. I roll my eyes and bite back the smile trying to reach out, "Kidding. Don't worry, it'll only take a few minutes then my dad has the rest. He says he hopes you're doing okay, by the way. And your parents."

I manage to smile at this and nod, "Tell him we say thanks. That's really sweet."

Kade hums, kisses the side of my head, then is back to working and typing away at his phone. I decide not to be a nuisance anymore and rest my head on the table atop of my forearms instead, eyes watching Care lazily as she grabs the cakes with two hands. She teaches us in no time and her eyes are wide and excited for the sugar she's about to eat.

She had gotten two chocolate cakes, one for Kade and one for herself, and though I wasn't hungry- I knew I'd be taking a bite out of Kade's plate.

Care begins eating after Kade nods off, saying he needed a few minutes more, and seems to nice my staring at the dessert a minute later. "Have some, baby." He pushes the plate towards me without a glance.

Shrugging, I pick up the fork and take a bite then send one his way. We end up finishing the cake before he's finished through me feeding him and taking occasional bites myself. Care is basically finished by the time Kade's put his phone down.

"Are we gonna head back to the hospital after this?"

Care blinks up at Kade's question. I pause, then shrug. "Probably should."

They're silent for a moment. "Well, we have an hour 'til we should go back. Do you wanna do anything before that?"

I shake my head. "Not really. You guys?"

"Nothing." Kade shrugs. I turn to look at Care.

"There's a park nearby. We can go there, relax for a bit maybe?"

"Sure." I feel myself perk up at the suggestion and Caroline visibly smiles, seeing my reaction, then offers to take the plates away so we can go. Kade ends up handling them then we're on our way out, Care walking responsibly ahead as she directs us to the park.

We make it in no time and, thankfully, the park is big and spacious with not too many people around. To our left, and a bit further down, is a park full of toddlers and parents sitting by the benches. To the right there's a slight hill with a pretty view of the buildings in front of us so we find an empty space and sit in a row, with me in the middle. Kade relaxes as I lean my hand on Caroline's shoulder until I feel hers on top of mine. "Sorry our weekend was ruined."