03

nari woke up from a sound from her phone, indicating that she received a message

nari woke up from a sound from her phone, indicating that she received a message. before she could get her phone from the bedside table, she suddenly stood up straight from her laying position only to feel her vision getting blurry and dizzy. she remembered herself sitting on the cold floor whilst treating jaemin's bruises so how come she's laying on her bed now?

series of dings distracted her from confusion. she opened her phone, only to be greeted by messages from an unknown number.

UNKNOWN
i already went home. i'm sorry for
the bother last night.

UNKNOWN
i actually cooked you breakfast
as a gratitude.

UNKNOWN
i got your number from renjun
in case you're wondering.

NARI
how are you feeling?

NARI
thank you, jaemin :)

nari hurriedly washed up. she doesn't have any classes today but she thought of paying renjun a visit in his art class. she isn't the type to eat breakfast because, as to what she believes, breakfast makes her stomach heavy early in the morning.

the breakfast that jaemin prepared was simple: a vegetable omelet, tofu with seasoned soy sauce and rice with red and black beans. it looked and tasted like home. nari felt her eyes water, she suddenly remembered the people in the orphanage who took care of her. i'm going to visit busan next month, she thought.

she finished her food and left her unit. she brought some pain relievers and chewing gums that are not strawberry flavored with her, in case that she bump into jaemin. not too long, she finally reached the university.

"what's with you and jaemin?" nari hasn't even greeted renjun yet he already questioned her.

"what do you mean?"

"he asked me for your number, duh. he sent you a message, right? i heard that you helped him because he fainted due to his bruises."

"well, renjun, you already knew what happened so why bother asking me?"

"you're dating him, aren't you?" renjun wiggled his eyebrows, earning a smack on his arm from nari.

"we just met weeks ago," nari rolled her eyes. and it's you who i wanted to date, she added in her thoughts.

shrugging, renjun pat nari's shoulder, "i've known him since we were in middleschool. he isn't bad. he just don't know how to communicate properly. i know he'll soon grow soft on you."

before nari could process renjun's words, he bid goodbye because he has to go to his next class. "why did you-y-ya, i don't like him!" she shouted irritatedly whilst renjun laughed at her.

she found herself strolling on the university's soccer field. she casually kicked rocks, still slightly mad because renjun teased her about jaemin.

"how could he say that? can't he even feel that he's the one that i like? i even visited him even though i don't have classes today," nari muttered under her breath as she kicked a rock a little too hard.

"ouch!"

"oh my-i'm so sorry, are you okay?"

"do i look-what are you doing here?" jaemin furrowed his eyebrows while rubbing his knees that was hit by the stone. why does she always appear whenever i try to smoke? he thought.

"are you going to smoke again? it's-"

"why do you care?"

nari was caught off guard when jaemin's tone changed. she thought they were somehow close, given the fact that jaemin's somehow talks to her.

"i just-"

"you what? thought we're friends? just because i deal with your shit, doesn't mean we're friends," jaemin's gaze sent shivers to her spine. nari couldn't speak, she's hurt but what caught her attention was jaemin's face filled with new bruises. "don't come too close to me, you'll get hurt," jaemin added before he walked away.

why are you like this? nari could only ask while grasping the chewing gums in her pocket that she was about to give to jaemin.