Chapter 1

Episode 1, The Boy In The Iceberg

I usually wake up when it's still dark outside. I like it when everyone is still asleep, and I can only hear the nature's sounds. I was deep in thought, thinking about how I could avoid gran-gran today, I don't want to listen to her because I certainly would say my opinion again, and that would mean trouble. I don't know why but gran-gran is very strict when it's about traditions and stuff, I respected all the traditions until now, but that one is going too far.

"Shh, you coming?" a whisper brought me back to reality and before I could realize who the owner of that whisper was, I jumped up from my bed and made myself ready to attack whoever decided it would be a good idea to enter without a warning or sign. I let my arms fall down to my sides and relaxed at the sight of my brother, "What are you doing here this early? The sun hasn't even risen yet." I asked him, crossed my arms over my chest and raised an eyebrow, it is weird that Sokka is already awake. "I want to go fishing but not alone and you're awake, so I thought I'd ask you." He explained. "Okay I'm coming but let me change quickly," I said going to my closet, "Oh and next time you come here please knock before you come in, I could have been naked or something." I added picking out normal clothes. "Eww, that would have scarred me for life." Sokka said making a stupid face. "Shut up and get out." I laughed and threw my jacket at him, he caught it threw it back at me.

When I got out of my tent Sokka was stretching like he was about to work out or something, "You ready to catch some fish now Sokkii?" I asked in an amused tone. he stopped stretching and looked at me sternly, "How many times have I told you not to call me 'Sokkii'?" he crossed his arms waiting for my reply. As if scolding me is going to work, I will call him Sokkii when I want to. "Too many times," I answered and rolled my eyes, "Come on now, let's go big bro." I added starting to walk in the direction of the shore and signalled him to follow me. The walk to our canoe was silent for most of the time.

I thought a lot about going away from here and finding out about my mother's life, but I don't know where to look or who to ask. Every time I asked gran-gran she would avoid my questions. To be honest, I think there's a lot more about mom than we know. I mean, first, the fire bender was actually not supposed to kill her, I never told that anyone, but to bring her to him, whoever that would be. Second, mom's crazy book with all the badass bending techniques. Third, my fire bending ability. There has to be a reason why I can fire bend, I mean that can't come from nowhere. And last but not least, we know nothing about mom's side of the family. Literally nothing. Not even the names of her parents. We were always told mom's parents lived in the north pole and they didn't want our mom to marry dad. But when she did anyway, they had an argument and they never talked with mom again, they died when we were young. I don't believe that story, there's something wrong with it. Definitely. I never told anyone how I feel about that story and what I think about it.

"Hello?" Sokka said and swung his hand in front of my face to get my attention. I snapped to reality and furrowed my brow at him, "I've been trying to talk to you for the last two minutes now. What were you thinking about?" he asked me, "Maybe about your future husband." he suggested wiggling his eyebrows. That suggestion earned him a hit in his side from me. Sokka grimaced with pain and held his side, "Actually, I was thinking of ways how to let murder look like a canoe accident." I whispered like telling him a secret. His face was covered with fear and I smirked. The look on his face was hilarious, he mumbled something under his breath I couldn't understand.

We arrived at the shore after a few metres. We were about to get into the canoe when we heard footsteps approaching us, I turned around only to see Katara jogging over to us. "Wait." she shouted and swung her arms around to get our attention. "Where are you going this early in the morning?" Katara asked out of breath as soon as she arrived at the shore too. "Oh you know, just visiting the Fire lord, my old friend." I stated casually. Honestly, where could we possibly go, that question was so unnecessary. Katara really disapproved of my comments and remarks sometimes, but I can't help it. Stupid question or statement, stupid answer or remark. Quite easy to understand, actually. I already sensed a scolding or an argument coming, and I guess Sokka did to, "Fishing. We're going fishing." He said before Katara could scold me, nodding with every word he said. My family is so weird.