Chapter 14

Episode 12, The Storm

After an extremely long way back to the ship I was beyond exhausted and the thought of a bed was enough to make me smile. Since we had lost the ship, we had to walk all the way back and let me tell you, it was the worst thing in the world.

"Thank the spirits," I mumbled as soon as I spotted the ship on the port. I couldn't wait to relax and sleep.

Not a moment after I set foot on the ship, I walked to my room not saying a word to anyone. I laid down on my bed and closed my eyes, ready to sleep when I remembered something that made me open my eyes again.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed ad sat up, "I completely forgot to thank Zuko for helping me," I gasped and stood up walking out of my room.

I stopped in front of his door and hesitated a moment, but after taking a deep breath, I knocked on his door twice.

When I heard a faint 'come in' I opened the door and entered his room and closed the door behind me.

Zuko was sitting on the floor with his back turned to me. I cleared my throat before speaking, "hey," I whispered and looked everywhere but at his back.

He looked over his shoulder and a glint of confusion and shock flashed in his eyes as he quickly stood up and put his hands behind his back when he turned to face me.

I cleared my throat again when he didn't say anything and only looked at me. "Well," I said and looked at him, "I only wanted to thank you for helping me out that day," I said fumbling with my fingers.

When he didn't react, I cursed at my stupidity for being nice and mumbled a 'nevermind,' as I turned around to open the door and leave.

"Wait," he said and took a step forward. I looked over my shoulder with a raised eyebrow and my hand still on the doorknob.

After a few moments of complete silence and just looking at each other he pulled his hand away from behind his back. "Here," he softly said and handed me a book.

I was surprised and let go of the doorknob to fully turn around and took a good look at the book. My eyebrows shot up and a quiet gasp escaped my lips when I saw the exact same book I saw at the pirate's shop.

"How-" I started and pointed at the book before looking up at him. "I saw you looking at it and then got it from the pirates," He told me as his cheeks got a bit pink.

I was so shocked that he got that for me, "You didn't need to do that. The book costed a fortune," I whispered looking at him as my eyes started to water.

"Just take it, no one else will need it here anyways," he said and held the book towards me.

I took the book in my hands with a small smile and looked at it in my hands. Finally I can read again after such a long time. "Thank you," I mumbled and admired the book in my hands.

That's so nice of him. I never got something so valuable. I was always the outsider of our village especially since my father left us. Gran-gran would always favour Katara at bit more because she was a water bender. She tried not to make it obvious, but I always noticed. After all I'm not stupid and blind.

"Are you crying?" Zuko asked me in a worried tone snapping me out of my thoughts. Oh no, I didn't notice the tear that escaped my eye. I blushed and cleared my throat, "no," I said and sniffed quietly.

I wanted to wipe the tear away but Zuko already put a hand on my cheek and wiped it away with his thumb.

I looked up at him and blushed when our eyes locked, "don't cry," he whispered and rubbed his thumb on my cheek. I didn't know what to say or do as I was lost in his eyes and my brain seemed to have stopped working.