Chapter 1: Meeting Dr. Morano

|Briana|

Five Years Later

I remember when I was a little girl, putting on my favorite dress and pretended to be getting married. I thought marriage was my ultimate life goal. As a little girl, I'd never knew that marriage would be like this.

We sat across from each other, staring at the papers on the coffee table in front of us. Neither one of us wanted to sign them, so we were just waiting on each other to make the first move.

Divorce papers.

Sometimes, we would each take glances at each other, or down at our wedding rings, deciding on whether we would just throw away 13 years of our lives.

13 years that have produced three amazing children. Three amazing children who's lives will be affected tremendously based on our decision.

First, there was Christopher Maurice Brown Jr., the oldest, he is now ten years old. Then, there was Cierra Neveah Brown, the middle child, she is now seven years old. And lastly, Caelin Isaiah Brown, the youngest, he is five years old now.

One reason Chris and I were having a hard time signing these papers were because we didn't want them to have to grow up bouncing around in two different households.

The other reason we were having a hard time signing these papers, was because we both loved each other too much to try to hurt the other. The person who signed the papers first, showed that they were the least committed. The person who signed the papers first, is the person who ripped the heart out of the other person's chest. And Chris, nor did I, want to hurt each other, by signing the paper.

I know we both wanted to sign the papers, but I don't think either one of us are ready to release the other, and move on. I think a reason that we are like this, is because we got married way to young. We got married when we were 23, and it was proabaly a big mistake.

I didn't want to let Chris go, and I knew he didn't want to let me go, so I don't even know why we're going this.

"Chris?" I asked.

"Hm?"

"What are we doing?"

"Being stupid." He said, standing up and walking over to me. "Briana, how did we even get to this point?" He asked, pointing at the divorce papers.

"I don't know." I said. "Chris, I don't wanna lose you, and we've been doing this everyday for months now, and I'm tired of this." I said as tears started to fall.

"Briana, don't cry. We'll get through this." He assured.

This is the first time in weeks that Chris and I have spoken. It's like we don't communicate anymore. All we do is argue and ignore each other.

~~~

"Hi, I'm Dr. Morano." The marriage counselor said.

'Briana." I said extending my hand to her and allowing her to shake it.

"Chris." He said introducing himself.

We both sat down on the couch across from Dr. Morano.

"So, what seems to be the problem?" She asked.