Epilogue

13 Years Later

|Briana|

"So much for a birthday." I mumbled looking over at the batch of cupcakes Christina bought me. Why would I want a cupcake at this moment? We had been in this position before, but it was never this bad.

I sat impatiently in the hard chair, waiting for answers, with my head in my hands. Why did this always have to happen to us. I felt someone sit next to me and wrap their arm around me.

"Ma, it's gonna be okay." Jr.'s deep voice said. Jr. was now 23 years old. He went to college to get a degree in business, but a basketball scout saw him and now he plays in the NBA for the Los Angeles Clippers.

Usually, I would think things were going to be okay, but this time I wasn't sure.

He was taking me out for my birthday, and then this happened.

We were just sitting in the restaurant, talking and laughing, then Chris looked out the window and his facial expressing suddenly changed. Before I could ask him what was wrong, bullets were flying. He protected me. The bullets that hit him, were supposed to hit me.

Chris was shot four times. Two in the arm, one in the chest, and one in the stomach. He's been in surgery for hours, and I wasn't sure how much longer I could wait.

Two Hours Later

It was extremely late and we were still waiting for the doctors to tell us something.

"Family of Christopher Brown." The doctor finally said. I didn't even have the energy to stand up. "We were able to get the bullets out, but..." He paused. Why was his pausing, why couldn't he just tell us that Chris was okay. "Christopher has severe internal bleeding. We tried to stop it, but he didn't make it. I'm so sorry."

Didn't make it. Didn't make it. There was no way that Chris was dead.

"Why are you lying to us?" I asked the doctor. "Just tell us the truth. Is he in a coma? Is he paralyzed? Just tell us." I said.

"Briana-" My mother said.

"No, I know he's not dead. He's lying to us."

Jr. wrapped his arm tighter around me, trying to console me, but I just knew Chris wasn't dead.

"I'm sorry, but he's passed away." The doctor said. "You could see him if you'd like, but only one at a time.

~~~

I was the last to go. I walked into the room, and there was Chris. I walked over to him and grabbed his cold hand. "Baby, wake up." I said. "I know you're not dead, the doctor's lying."

I waited for Chris's response, but I would be waiting forever, but I just didn't want to believe it.

"Why, Chris?" I asked as tears started to fall. "Why did you take the bullets that were supposed to hit me? We should have never gone out tonight, I told you I didn't want anything special for my birthday."

I looked down at our wedding rings. "We've been doing this for 26 years, and now it's over, just like that. I don't know what to do, Chris. I need you to be home with me. I need to hear your voice everyday. How am I gonna live without you?"