Chapter 6: Trying

|Chris|

After dropping the kids off at school, I went to the hospital with Briana. I was positive that I was going to be the only one at the hospital since her mama couldn't get a day off rom work because of her boss.

I got to the hospital and went to Briana's room. I was sure that she wasn't going to be comfortable with a complete stranger in her room, but I didn't care. I couldn't just leave my wife in a hospital with no idea of her family.

When I walked in, she was talking to Dwayne. I didn't know he'd be here; I didn't even know how he knew that Briana was in the hospital. I knew she knew who he was since her last memory was when she was 14.

"So Reggie's dead?" She asked.

Neither of them noticed I was here, so I just continued to stand in the doorway.

"Yeah. Him and his cousin tried to kill you." Dwayne said. "But Chris saved you."

"Is this "Chris" person really my husband? And we've been together since we were 15 and have three kids?"

"Yeah."

"So you and I aren't together anymore?" She asked. Since her last memory was when she was 14, her and Dwayne were together in Detroit.

"No. I'm married, and I have two kids." He said. Dwayne and Kenaysha had gotten married three years ago.

There was a silence in the room, until I cleared my throat, making my presence known. Dwayne said goodbye to Briana, then left.

I sat down on Briana's bed, silently. I wanted to say something to her; something that would make her remember, but I knew it would be no use.

"Chris?"

"Hm?" I looked up, hoping that she had remembered atleast a little.

"I'm sorry that I don't remember you, or our kids."

"It's not your fault Briana, it's mine." I confessed.

"How?"

"Well, lately, we've been having a lot of problems in our marriage, so we started to go to a marriage counselor. And yesterday, on our way to the counselor, we we're arguing. I was so mad, that I wasn't even paying attention to the road." I said. I felt my eyes beginning to water.

It was finally hiting me that I could have lost her. I could have lost my wife and it would have been all my fault.

"Why are you crying?"

"You could've died. I couldn't live without you, Briana." I sobbed.

I continued crying as Briana tried to keep me calm. But there's no such thing as calm when the one you love doesn't even know who you are.

"Can you show me some pictures of us?" She asked, trying to change the subject.

I grabbed my phone, and unlocked it. I went to my photos and scrolled through pictures of us and some of the kids.

Suddenly, the doctor walked in with Briana's papers since today was her last day here.

Once she was released, she looked more lost than ever.

"Where's mommy?" She asked, sounding exactly like Cierra.

"Work." I replied.

"So I'm going with you?"

It probably wasn't the best idea for Briana to go with a complete stranger, but she had no where else to go.

"You're not going to stay long, just until she gets off work. I don't want you to be overwhelmed by any of this."