Ch. 18 - Assistance

Start from the beginning

"You love binders around here."

You smiled. "Just trying to keep us all organized, one step at a time."

He flashed you a smile and took the binder back to his new desk, flipping through it to see what information he could find.

The two of you ate lunch together that day, treating it as an impromptu information session. He asked several questions about the duties of your department and you eagerly provided that information to him.

"You went straight from the receptionist to this, right?" he asked. "What made you choose this department?"

You shook your head. "Actually, I didn't choose this. This was the only option for me. Byul was the one who wasn't afraid to try bringing me on full-time."

"Byul?" 

"Or Byul Yi, I guess. She always asked me to call her Byul. A lot of the department heads knew I was looking to move up but they didn't want to take me on because they were afraid of my father."

"He's that scary?"

"Not exactly. He's a formidable businessman. He gets what he wants, and he wanted me to work somewhere else. But Byul gave me a chance anyway and she helped me keep my head up."

"Where is she now?"

You shrugged. "She got another offer from an old friend of hers. She said it was the money, but she got tired of the politics around here. She works with food now, I think it has to do with radishes? Anyway, she really seems to enjoy it."

Namjoon nodded thoughtfully and it was quiet for a few minutes. "Is...that why you signed off on my transfer? I know you didn't have to."

"I really don't care if you're Yoongi's friend or not, I signed off on you because you're smart and a hard worker. And as much as I don't want to admit that he's right, this department could use an extra hand." You shrugged. "Just don't expect any special treatment."

"Of course not. But...you know he already offered me a raise, right?"

"And you took it?"

He hesitantly nodded. "Well, he hasn't put it in the system yet--"

"I'll show him how after lunch." Namjoon widened his eyes in surprise. "He already offered it, you'd be stupid not to accept it. But that means I'll expect quality work from you."

"You can count on me."

"I know."

When Yoongi returned from lunch, he found you making your way to his office.

"Are you lost? This isn't your floor."

"I'm here to show you how to enter your friend's raise. Or were you just going to pay him under the table?"

Yoongi bit back his reply as you made your way into his office and sat down. You glanced at him expectantly. "What?"

"Your co-workers are going to get the wrong idea if you keep barging in here all the time."

"You realize that I've been the daughter of the owner this whole time? I'm used to the gossiping by now."

He hummed in response, moving to sit next to you and watch you work. You showed him how to pull up the payroll report so that he could check it and make sure it was correct. And then you explained how he could change the amounts and make them go into effect.

"So I could just change how much money I make on this sheet?"

"Some members of the staff have a locked amount. You can't change it unless you get someone else to override it. Which reminds me...." You clicked a couple of buttons on Namjoon's information.

"What did you do?"

"Locked Namjoon's amount. You'll have to wait until his review to give him another raise."

"But what if I promote him again?"

"Then I'll be happy to unlock it for you. But until then, you're out of luck." You watched him continue to type on the keyboard and try to get around your passcode. "Anything else you need while I'm here?"

"Yeah, actually. Tae's coming in tomorrow, and he'll probably want to talk to you while he's here. Don't indulge him too long."

"Got it. See you at closing."

The next day around lunch, you heard Taehyung's deep voice outside your door followed by Namjoon's laughter. You glanced up as he opened the door.

"Nice office," he commented as he glanced around the space. "Will Namjoon get one too?"

"If he's lucky. How have you been, Tae?"

He flopped into one of your chairs. "Good, good." 

You continued working through your inbox for a few minutes before glancing up and catching Tae's eye. He had straightened up by this point, staring pointedly at you while he waited for you to finish.

"Did you need something?" you asked.

"Well, I know you're the brains around here so...I wanted to know about your services. What you charge, what your policies are, and so on."

"Why?"

He shrugged. "I've been talking to Hoseok and he says you do a lot of good work for him, shipping supplies and whatnot. I thought it was worth a sit down chat."

"I thought you were here to talk to Yoongi."

"I am, but I like taking new opportunities. And Hoseok gave a good recommendation for how you handle his account."

"Well, Hoseok works for a dance studio," you reminded him. "He has a lot of equipment and outfits and other supplies that he needs. I can run through some options for you, but I'd need to know what I'm working with. I don't think you ever told me what you do."

"Oh, I thought you knew. I'm a model." 

"A model," you repeated.

He grinned. "I take it that Yoongi didn't tell you that?"

"You know...I'm getting real tired of everyone saying that to me."