Chapter Thirty One

Photo of Alouette Lake

Recommended song- I will leave a light on by Tom Walker

March 13, 2020

Liam's POV

It was after six at night by the time he and Noah had driven to Cal's to pick him and Sam up. Liam was anticipating an awkward ride to the cabin given Noah's attitude when he met Cal just a few days before.

When Noah had followed Cal out of the coffee shop and returned to their group, his attitude had completely changed. Gone was the venemous comments and surly attitude, which didn't suit his easy going brother at all. Noah returned with a smile on his face and Liam noted his mood had been even more pleasant than usual.

Noah was his older brother and he looked up to him. He was a great role model and brother when he was growing up and they remained close even in their twenties.

Liam often wondered if Noah's caretaking tendencies wore him down but Noah never complained and continued looking after his younger brothers even though they were grown adults. Always helping, thoughtful, dependable and smiling- that was Noah.

When Noah and Trish had broken up 6 months earlier it had left him notably upset for a few weeks. They had been together for 3 years and their breakup came as a surprise to everyone, including Noah. She had wanted to see other people she said and it took a while for him to get over the hurt.

He did move on, dated a few since Trish but it was only a few dates and Noah hadn't hit it off with any of them. He hadn't bothered the past couple of months, concentrating on the band and work.

Noah, however, lit up like a Christmas tree when Cal opened the door. Liam thought it was, well, interesting. He silently watched his older brother converse with Cal and couldn't help but wonder.

Cal sat in the back seat with Sam who was fastened safely in his car seat. Cal and Noah spoke like old friends, having a surprising amount in common, mainly hockey as they we're both loyal Canucks fans. Liam watched his brother talk excitedly about the hockey season which had unfortunately been cut short because of Covid. That did not slow down their excited talk of games, stats, and insulting the others favorite players.

When Cal would turn his attention to Sam, Liam saw Noah's expression change. He had been watching Cal through the rearview mirror and Noah's face softened with the gentlest of smiles on his face. Liam studied him for a moment. Noah noticed Liam staring and looked back at him with raised eyebrows. "What?" Noah asked.

"Nothing. Not a thing." Liam smiled at his brother. Well this should be an interesting weekend. Liam thought.

Noah's POV

Liam was getting on his last nerve. He had been staring at him for most of the drive with a stupid smirk on his face and Noah had done his best to ignore it. Finally he had enough.

He let out a frustrated sigh. "What?"

"Nothing. Not a thing." Liam said cheekily.

Noah's jaws clenched and he didn't say anything else. Hopefully Liam would stop with that look and stop annoying him. If he didn't they were doing to have words.

It was so unusual for him to be bothered with Liam, they always got along. His staring and smirking were definitely irritating him.

Noah looked back at Cal having a full on conversation with 6 month old Sam. Cal was rambling about the different sounds that animals make and Sam was giggling at his dad's antics.

He felt his smile get wider just watching them interact. "Hey guys, we're here" he said pulling into the long road to the cabin.

The cabin was at Alouette Lake, less than an hour's drive from their home in Vancouver. His great grandfather built it as a hunting cabin in the 1930s. It was situated a mile from the lake, pushed back along the trees and offered privacy and calm. Alouette Lake was a popular lake with city dwellers and tourists so they were glad to be hidden amongst the woods rather than out on the lake front.