Chapter Nineteen

Mount Seymour, near Vancouver, BC

Recommended song - Easy by Troye Sivan

March 1, 2020

Alfie's POV

He had spent the past few nights tossing and turning. Alfie was restless.  It would be so easy to blame it on his full plate. Working full time plus heading up the task force at the soup kitchen left little extra time.

He knew the cause of his restlessness. It was a certain hunk of a bearded man that was creating havock with his libido. He absolutely meant it when he said there was no rush and they would take things slow. He loved spending time with him, getting to know him, watching him become more confident and take on more challenges. Alfie was extremely proud of Garrett.

He loved all the little moments. Everytime their hands would brush he could feel his heart quicken. He was completely head over heels for Garrett and judging from the way Garrett looked at him he knew it was mutual. He loved the pace that they were at BUT if Garrett lead him into the bedroom and ravaged him he would be completely down for that. He smiled at the thought.

They had been busy with the soup kitchen and that, thankfully, was distracting him (somewhat) from the suffocating sexual tension he felt.

Garrett had been a huge help with the task force and had some simple yet genius ideas that he hadn't even considered. He was glad to have the help and if it meant they spent more time together it was all the better.

By the end of February they knew a lockdown on Vancouver was coming. It was just a matter of when. They had a great team organizing an emergency plan with different scenarios. Alfie knew that the low income and homeless would be hit hard with the virus.

Garrett had simplified the menu and ordering was a breeze. They made room in the pantry for the extra supplies and took inventory of everything. They had managed to complete the job in three evenings which impressed Alfred Sr.

With time now freed up Garrett asked him out for another date and once again Alfie was anxious to spend some time alone with him.

Garrett wouldn't tell him where they were going, honestly he was such a kid at times Alfie laughed to himself.

The only hint he gave was dress comfortable and, wear a snowsuit,  bring gloves, a toque and warm boots. That left a lot of options, none of which included snuggling on the couch.

Garrett picked him up on Saturday at 10 am with two coffees, extra cream for Alfie just like he liked it. 

They boarded the skytrain and Alfie was completely at a loss as to where they were going. They arrived at the Rupert Skytrain Station and Parkgate Community Centre and connect with the Mt Seymour Shuttle bus.

When Alfie saw where they were going he was confused

"We're going skiing?" He asked.

"Nope" Garrett just grinned at him.

They departed the bus and headed to the lodge.

"We have an hour before we meet our group" Garrett said and watched Alfie raise his eyebrows. Garrett was having fun watching Alfie try to figure out their date plans.

"Let's have some lunch?"

Alfie grinned and took Garrett's hand.

"Do you ski?" Garrett asked Alfie as they settled into their seats.

"We used to go when we were kids, but I haven't skied in years. Liam and Noah come here a couple times during the ski season every year."

"Nice. Allison and Adam took me once when they were dating. I fell. A lot." Garrett laughed.

"Snowboarding? Are we snowboarding?" Alfie asked eagerly.

Garrett have a hearty laugh. "Alfie. If I fell ten years ago skiing. Can u imagine me strapped to a board  going down a hill?"

"Yes?" Alfie asked unsure.

"Nope". He just laughed.b

They finished their burgers and cokes and Alfie followed Garrett to meet their group. As soon as Alfie saw them he knew what Garrett had planned.

"Snowshoeing!! We're going snowshoeing!" Alfie exclaimed happily.

"Bingo!" Garrett smiled at him. Alfie looked thrilled and Garrett couldn't be happier to see him so excited.

They introduced themselves to the group of 20, all ranging in ages from 5 to 75 and strapped on their shoes. The instructor gave them a quick lesson before they set off to the trail.

It was a stunning day for a walk through the woods. The sky was as blue as one could imagine without a cloud in the sky. It was even warm enough that after ten minutes everyone had their coats unzipped.

The snow glistened and the trees were covered with white crystals. It was one of the most beautiful places Garrett had ever scene. The views were amazing and the instructor stopped often enough for everyone to take pictures.

It was perfect. The pace was relaxed, the group was fun, the kids were having a great time and their laughter and commentary led to the playful atmosphere of the afternoon. The family with teenagers had a snowball fight, careful not to hit anyone else and all in all it was one of the best days of Garrett's life.

He looked over at Alfie. His face glowing, his eyes bright, his smile wide and he was having a great time.

After two and a half hours they were back at the lodge, visiting with the group over hot chocolate and fresh cookies that the lodge provided. They stayed another hour before catching the shuttle back.

"That was awesome!!" Alfie cried out happily when they boarded the bus. "Thank you Garrett."

Garrett wrapped his arm around Alfie on the shuttle and squeezed him tight.

"I'm glad you had fun" he said and kissed the top of his head.

"How does pizza and a movie at my place sound?" Garrett asked, removing Alfie's toque and mitts and putting them on his lap.

"Sounds perfect" he smiled at him. Reached up, nestled his hand in his beard, rested his head on his shoulder and closed his eyes. He was asleep seconds later.

Garrett couldn't wait to get home and get Alfie settled on his couch for an evening of snuggling. Perfect day, he thought.