Chapter Eight

January 27, 2020

Recommended song: There For You by Martin Garrix and Troye Sivan

Alfie's POV

From his spot at bar he watched the backstage door, waiting for his brothers. Nervously he drank his beer, probably too quickly he noted as the first beer was making him somewhat relaxed. He knew if he was too "relaxed" with his alcohol that he tended to make a fool of himself. Tonight is not the time to be a dancing fool he chuckled to himself.

He was embarassed enough with that "bear" comment and he knew he should try to present himself in the most reasonably sound way possible.

Finally he spotted them, with the giant man lagging behind them. He waved them over.

"I'm sorry," Alfie started, "I didn't get your name earlier".

Garrett summoned his new confidence and looked at him to reply.

"I'm Garrett. You're Alfie" he said.

"Yeah" Alfie laughed. It sounded like bells. Such a pretty laugh Garrett thought.

"Do you want a beer? I'm getting another" he asked the men at the table. Liam and Noah nodded.

"Uh, no thanks. I don't drink. Could you get me a gingerale though?" Garrett asked shyly.

"Yep. I will be right back".

He got Mandy's attention at the bar and waited for his drinks. He looked back at the table and smiled. Garrett. What a great name.

Garrett looked over at him and smiled. He looks so kind when he smiles, not at all scary like before.

He was glad to have the chance to meet him again, happy that fate intervened. What were the chances his bearman was the new guitarist in his brothers' band?

He made his way back to the group and congratulated them on their performance. Garrett beamed at the praise from Alfie and quietly thanked him.

"Did you hear from your friends yet?" Noah asked Alfie, knowing his younger brother was worried about his friends in Wuhan.

"I did. They are under strict quarantine. David said it's eerie how quiet it is there. Grocery stores are open but most other places are closed. The airports are closed and they can't come home. The ESL teachers talk to each other every day but they still feel very isolated there." Alfie shook his head, worried for his friends. He looked at Garrett who seemed confused by the conversation.

When Alfie turned to Garrett and explained about Wuhan, the covid virus and his friends left in Wuhan.

Garrett didn't know how to respond. He rarely watched the news and since his daily conversations generally were limited to Allison and her family, he really didn't know what to say. He could feel Alfie's eyes on him, waiting for a reply.

"I hope your friends will be ok" he finally said awkwardly.

"It's pretty scary eh?" Alfie asked him.

He looked at Noah and Liam for help. He really didn't know that much what was going on and was embarassed by his limited knowledge. Noah seemed to sense his discomfort.

"How's school going Alfie?" He managed to change the subject.

"It's good! We have a group working with the guitar club and they are singing a few songs in english for next week's talent show".

"How are Benjamin and Tyler?" Liam asked about his friends. Benjamin was his former teacher and guitar club coach and he and Tyler had been friends since high school.

"They are great, as always. Busy planning their wedding. They are trying to decide where to hike on their honeymoon" Alfie laughed.

Garrett looked at them shocked.

"You have friends that are gay?" He asked. He couldn't believe it. His new friends were ok with having gay friends. He would finally feel accepted and not have to hide or pretend anymore.

Alfie turned to him quickly, his eyes narrowed, mouth turning downwards, "why? Do you have a problem with that?" His voice cutting into him.

"No, no I don't. I think it's so good. I'm happy". Garrett stammered.

"Easy Alfie" Noah said gently.

"You have to understand not everyone is accepting of gay people and Alfie had been bullied a lot when he was younger". Liam explained.

"Why?" Garrett was dumbfounded. Who would hurt this sweet man?

Alfie laughed good naturedly. "Because I'm gay". He said simply.

Garrett was left speechless. He merely looked at Alfie, like a puppy as Liam later described it.

Throughout the evening Garrett and Alfie kept "sneaking" glances but it was obvious to anyone with a pulse. Since they were sitting next to each other their knees would "accidently" bump and rest on each other's knees. Occasionally their hands would graze each other and they would steal smiles from one another. Liam and Noah were watching the "subtlety" between them and resisted the urge to tease them. For Liam and Noah they were happy for their little brother.

"Well we should get a cab home. Where do you live Garrett?"

"West 10th avenue" he answered.

"Me too" Alfie answered quickly, smiling at Garrett.

"Ok, we will drop you too off first then we will head home." Noah said, finalizing the plans.

Alfie sat in the middle of the backseat of the cab, between Garrett and Liam. He felt Garrett's presence beside him and it was intoxicating. He shifted closer to Garrett and felt him respond by moving closer to Alfie. Liam watching this and thinking they might as well sit in each other's laps but didn't say a word. He chuckled and shook his head.

Garrett refered the corner and said he could walk from there. He pointed to his apartment complex and once again Noah shook his head in amusement.

"That's where I live too". Alfie said turning to Garrett and grinning.

"I will walk you home". Garrett offered as they stepped out of the cab.

Both Alfie and Garrett were lost in their thoughts. They walked in comfortable silence across the courtyard and up the stairs that led to Alfie's  apartment. Garrett wanted to hold his hand so bad but resisted the urge so as not to frighten him. Alfie was too busy resisting his own urges of reaching up to stroke Garrett's beard. Once they got to Alfie's front door they were both blushing from their thoughts.

"Thanks Garrett. I hope to see you soon. Goodnight". Alfie held back from getting on his tiptoes and kissing him.

"Goodnight Alfie. I hope to see you around" Garrett waved his goodbye and walked down the stairs and up the other set of stairs on the corner of the courtyard that led to his home. He could not wipe the smile off of his face as he climbed into bed.