Maze A

Inside the Gathering at the Homestead, Newt held the metal cylinder that beeped quietly covered in goo and gunk as he looked over it

Inside the Gathering at the Homestead, Newt held the metal cylinder that beeped quietly covered in goo and gunk as he looked over it. Addison stood among the Keepers and Thomas, watching and waiting for an answer. He didn't know what to say exactly, he was upset that they'd gone back into the Maze, especially Addison, but he didn't say anything with the boys around. He knew she was have something to fire back at him. She kept her head turned the other way, not only did the odd device smell, but Newt had caught her eye. 

She was seventeen and a half years old. Her body had changed over the course of two and a half years. She'd always seen the boys as her brothers, as family, yet over the last few months, Newt seemed to be different. There was a different feeling, which she always pushed aside. She found that he looked rather attractive, the way his face always rested with a frown made him look attractive. The way his different colored hair fell over his forehead and a mess. And his accent always was different, which made her like him because he wasn't like everyone else.

However, she didn't just like him for those features. He was a natural leader and knew what he was doing. He never spoke first. He always spoke last, after hearing everyone's opinions. He considered most, following Alby's lead. He was kind, probably the kindest boy there. He was strong, even with a limp, and authority around the Glade. He wasn't just anyone, just another boy, another person, he was someone she'd grown to trust and love, as a brother, but now, it was more.

"We found this." Thomas spoke as Newt glanced at it, turning it over. "Was inside a Griever."

"These are the same letters we get from our supplies." Newt glanced up, mouth slightly ajar as he was confused. 

"Whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers." Gally did not seem interested at all and Addison shared a few looks with him. She knew he didn't like that she was bumming around with Thomas and that Minho was taking his side. "And this is the first real clue. Real anything you've found in three years, right, Minho?" Thomas pointed. 

"Right." Minho nodded. 

"Newt, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us."

Newt looked over to Gally, who glared away from Thomas and over to Newt with arms folded over himself. "You see what he's trying to do, right? First he breaks the rules and then convinces us to abandon them totally. What? The rules are the only thing that have held us together. Why are we now questioning that?" He looked to Newt and Thomas pursed his lips into a thing. "If we didn't have them, Addison wouldn't be who she is."

She glanced away. Newt knew she'd spoken to Thomas many times and helped him out, so, he knew Addison's opinion on this was worthy of listening to. He looked to her. "Well?" He spoke. "What do you have to say, Addison?"

She shrugged and shook her head. "Don't turn and pin this on me, Newt." She spoke up. "I know other rules had been put into place for me, but it doesn't define who I am and it wouldn't of without them. I can defend myself around you Shanks just fine."