Maze A

Turning over in her hammock, she groaned as the pudgy boy called her name and shook the entire hammock back and forth

Turning over in her hammock, she groaned as the pudgy boy called her name and shook the entire hammock back and forth. Most of the boys were awake and she wanted to remain asleep for as long as she could. She didn't want to wake up because the night had been long. Their new Greenie was a wreck and quite a few people disliked him because of how curious he was and that he got upset sometimes when he didn't answers right away.

"Whoa there, Chuck," A boy laughed. "She's sleepin'."

"Yeah, but I'm bored." He whined.

"I'm awake." She answered, sitting up in the hammock with a scowl, glaring at the boy. "What do you want, Chuck?"

He shrugged. "Thought we could bum around."

"Chuck, you have Slop duties to do." Newt told him. "Run along now." He nods, wanting to the boy to start his work. "Toilets need to be scrubbed."

He sighed dramatically, throwing his arms into the air before turning away. "I hate this job!"

The girl laughed, throwing her legs off the side of the hammock and Newt took his seat on the hammock beside her, it sank a little, and she held onto the side. She glanced out at the open Glade where boys worked up a sweat and Chuck made his way to the bathrooms where he was needed. "So," Newt began. "You gon' run the Maze today?"

"How could I?" She asked. "The Greenie's caught my eye." He furrowed his brows with a questionable frown appearing across his face. "I mean, he's curious that I wanna know why he is."

"I don't think that's such a good idea. All right, Gally doesn't think he's too smart, nor does he listen well."

"I know." She nodded and stood up, he watched her pull her shirt down and then bring her hands up, pulling her hair up into a ponytail for the day. "Thomas, that's his name, right?"

"Yeah." He nods. "Look," He stood and faced her. "If you're going to speak to him, I'd suggest not in the open. Gally will blow a bloody gasket on the Greenie. And you." He pointed, brows raised.

She nodded. "Thanks, Newt." She patted his chest and walked off.

With her brows now furrowed, she looked around for the boy with brown hair and dirt covering his body. He'd been thrown around quite a bit within the last day. He arrived yesterday and had already been greeted in a tormented way by Gally. Alby had discussed his lack of patience for the boy and Newt considered everything going on before saying anything. However, Addison was a mix of everything. She was very sweet, yet she often had a fierce side to her. She had walls, she didn't let people in unless she trusted them and there were only several people in which she trusted fully.

She'd gotten there two and a half years ago. The same day as Elizabeth had been sent to Maze B, she was sent to Maze A. It was risky putting a girl into a Maze with a few boys knowing that Maze was entirely for males. However, the creators had two identical people. They wanted to see the differences between the two. The girls had the exact same goal, the exact same tag, one was A and the other B. The girls were wiped of all their memories. They were left with telepathy, in which they used to communicate to one another, and their names. 

The girls knew some things about each other, but they knew more about one another's Mazes. Elizabeth knew there was another Maze out there, except that Maze didn't have a vertical loop, but a bigger section of more maze walls and dead ends. One was cold, one was hot. One was boys, one was girls. For the exception of Addison with the boys. They'd been started on the same days, it was a matter of who could escape first. Who played smarter, not harder?

With a yawn, Addison walked off and pulled the sleeves up of her three quarter shirt, growing hot. She wore a pair of shorts, they were longer than her butt, but still short, and boys often stared. She noticed Gally and the fellow Builders building and hammering on wood as they cracked sticks and fixed up a few shelters. Gally had stopped to see where she was going and what she doing. His brows constantly raised and a look of hatred, almost, was plastered to his face.

She found the boy sitting by himself. Walking over to him, she smiled to herself because the boy sparked something within that she liked. That drive of curiosity, she liked to think. Meeting him, his head lifted up upon seeing a shadow approach him and she planted her butt on the grass beside him. He was staring out at the doors, watching and waiting, wondering what was out there, why people ran it to find a way. He wondered why no one climbed it to escape.

"Hey Thomas." She greeted.

"Hi Addison." He answered. "How come they won't tell me anything? I mean Newt has a bit, but I still don't get it."

She nodded in agreement. "I don't have too much authority around here, but what I can tell you is that beyond those walls it's a dangerous place. No one wants to be out there, but we have to. We run the Maze to figure out a way out."

"Three years and you guys haven't found anything."

She shook her head. "We've got patterns and such, but don't know what to do with them. Where do they go? How to we order them? Are they even useful?" She spoke, not necessarily to him, but just in general. "You're new, to them you're a nobody. Although, you've really seem to be digging your grave around here." She laughed.

"About that. Why do they hate me? I'm just asking questions."

"That's why. No Greenie has ever asked as much questions as you. Here, we all learn to go with the flow. Answers will come when needed. You just need to wait."

He nods, pressing his tongue to his cheek in thought. He accepted the fact that no one would tell him anything more than what they had. Although it got him mad, he liked that he had a friend in Addison. 

She was the only girl living with boys for the last few years, yet she still had that female character to her, and obtained many male characteristics, too. Such as sitting like every other boy did, hunched over, sprawled out on a chair, legs wide open. She didn't know much better. She chewed with her yap wide open, not minding if boys saw her food. She burped just like they did. She laughed out loud, an odd laugh, with all of them, too. No one saw it as different, ever.

"Thanks, Addison."

"No problem, Greenbean." She smiled. "It'll get better." She stood up and before walking away to help the Gardeners, she turned and faced him. "By the way, if you need help, just ask. I'll be there."