Chapter 12

Stopping outside of my door, I hear Catie and Madison laughing. I pause, wondering why my door is shut, but then I shrug it off and open it. As I walk in, Catie and Madison's heads snap in my direction, and I notice both smiling at me. I shut the door behind me, pick up a stray piece of clothing lying on the ground, and toss it into my dirty clothes bin. "What are you guys talking about?" I question, sitting next to them on the bed.

"I'm just telling Catie about everything that happened when she was away," Madison says with a small smile. I nod in response and look at Catie, crossing one leg under my thigh.

"A lot of shit definitely happened when you were away," I state, adding exaggeration by widening my eyes and nodding my head. "Anyways, so Catie, how was your trip?" I question, looking at her. I'm resting one elbow on my knee, twirling my hair between my fingers.

She smiles and scratches her head slightly before responding, "It was excellent. I saw many pretty scenery and family members that I haven't gotten to see in a long time." She sits back further on the bed to lean against the wall. "We went pretty far away, so the weather was a bit different than here, and I just got to run around and see new things." Catie has a big smile on her face. She goes more into detail, which causes her to talk for a while. Catie has always been someone who explains a lot; sometimes, when telling a story, she'll go in-depth about the color of her clothing that day and if it has a specific design. With how detailed she was, I used to think she should be a writer.

She tells us about things that happened with her family and other people she had just met on the trip. I notice the weird pause between her stories when she is in the middle of a sentence and then changes it to a different part of her trip.

"That sounds really cool." Madison grins, "I'm glad you had a good time, Catie." I nod, showing Catie that I agree with Madison. I am glad that she had a good time with her family, but I feel like there is something that she's not telling us.

"Thanks, you guys." Catie smiles, looking down at her phone. She scoots towards the edge of my bed, sighing, "It's getting pretty late, I should probably head out." We all get up, gathering her things to ensure she remembers everything.

When we're sure she has everything, I embrace her and say, "Get home safe, Catie. I'm thrilled you're back."

"Thanks, Al," she says before putting her bag on her shoulder and hugging Madison. "See you guys tomorrow?" We both agree, and she walks out the door.

"So, how was the rest of your day?" Madison asks, lying on the bed.

"Hold that thought. I've had to pee for 10 minutes," I announce, holding my finger up. She chuckles, and I open the door and walk into the hallway. I yawn as I walk to the bathroom and hear whispering. God, why am I always getting into weird situations nowadays? I decide to ignore it but realize I hear a familiar voice. Catie? I slow my pace down because I'm curious.

"I can't do this right now. I just got back." She says quietly.

There's a pause before the other person says, "Why did you leave? You didn't tell me when you left or where you were going!" The other voice whispered back. I pause, racking my brain because I know that voice. Wait, it's Tyler?

I hear a small sigh before Catie responds, "I left because of you! After everything happened, you wouldn't help me, so I had to figure it out alone. I had to get it taken care of by myself."

There is a pause in the conversation before I hear Tyler talking lower. I silently move closer to try and listen. "Look, I didn't know what to do. But I'm sorry that you had to go through that alo-"

Catie cuts him off mid-sentence and says, "Stop. I can't do this right now. I'm leaving." I slowly move and hide in case she comes this way, but she doesn't. Once I hear the front door open, I rush over to the window and watch a distraught Catie attach her belongings to her limbs before shifting and running off.