Chapter 7

"Where did you meet him?" My brother's face grew hard, and all emotions were masked as the question slipped out of his tight-lined lips. I knew this wasn't a good idea. I should have kept my mouth shut until I figured everything out because problems and weird tensions will emerge now. I unconsciously start playing with strands of my hair, which is a habit I do when I'm uncomfortable or stressed.

At this point, I don't know if I should answer or keep my mouth shut. I stare directly into Justin's cold eyes and harden my expression. Who is he to get mad at me for this? I've caught him in the act with a random girl with a bad reputation who happens to be a member of the Red Moon Pack. I don't understand how his brain works; just because he's a guy doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants, and I can't. This isn't my fault, nor would it be my first choice, but I'm not upset this happened. Everything happens for a reason. Maybe if he could find his mate, he would understand.

I heave a big sigh, glaring at Justin. Opening my mouth to speak, I barely let out a syllable when I'm interrupted by a knock on the door. "Not now," my father declares to the knocker. Whoever is on the other side of the door either leaves or stands silent. A few seconds go by before we hear a voice.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I have information." Madison's voice is feeble from the other side of the door. Confused by her statement, my mother swiftly moves towards the door and lets Madison in. No one speaks, and all eyes are on Madison's nervous figure. Figuring no one will speak, and they're waiting for her to talk, Madison states, "Allie met Mason because of me. Last night, for her birthday, I took it upon myself to take her out and see if she would find her mate. We both thought it was silly because there was no way she would be able to find him so easily. So," she hesitates and looks down at her fingers. I know exactly what she is going to tell them. "I-I took her to a few clubs. I wanted her to have a fun 18th birthday that she'd remember. And obviously, there's that small chance of finding your mate on your birthday. But now it happened and-" She stops rambling, probably knowing she is saying too much. I wish I could slap her or rub my face, but I don't want to draw any more attention to myself. Now, everything is out in the open. I can't run from this anymore; now I must face it.

Silence fills the tension-filled room as everyone processes this information. I want to facepalm— no, actually, I want to strangle Madison. I was planning on leaving the clubs out. "You went to a club?" My mother asks, slowly turning to look at me. I avoid looking at her and continue glaring at Madison and my brother. My parents are strict and don't feel safe with me going out to anything like a club. I know I'm of legal age to do this, but my parents still see me as a little kid and try to protect me from everything. Right now, I am dumbfounded at the admission because Madison knows how they feel about that. "What about the movie?" My mother asks. I hate confrontation and would instead just escape this situation, but I'm surrounded. I'm so nervous I feel like I'm going to vomit.

Finally, looking in my mother's direction, I make eye contact with her questioning eyes. My mother was a goody-goody when she was around my age. She went to clubs a few times in her mid-20s; she's never snuck out and always followed every rule. Little does she know, I'm not as innocent as she believes or would hope. "Like I said earlier, Mom," I take a deep breath and stand up, "there was no movie. I'm sorry I lied to all of you." Everyone looks back and forth between them, processing this information. My father presses his thumb and pointer finger together, pinching the bridge of his nose and furrowing his brow. My brother is still standing there emotionless, steaming inside, and my mother is standing up, pacing, which is something she does when she's stressed. Madison is still standing by the door, both hands clasped and staring at her feet.

"Alright," my father announces, rubbing his forehead and looking between the four of us. Let your mother and I talk. We'll talk to you three later," he states, moving to sit on the edge of the bed.