Chapter 3

Nothing.

I'm staring into the dark chocolate eyes of my very attractive best friend,, who isn't my mate. I sigh disappointedly and look down at the painful stiletto heels. Before I looked down, I could've sworn I saw disappointment sprawled across his face. Now that I'm thinking, that probably wasn't the expression I saw.

"Hey, Evan." Mattie says with a huge grin plastered on her naturally plump lips.

She's also had a crush on him ever since he was known as 'Evan Baxter, the geek' or 'The kid to pick on to do your homework.' It was at the same time I started developing significant feelings for him. I'm not surprised; he's the guy that's always been kind and put his friends and family before him. He always puts himself last. He is honestly the least selfish guy I know. He's been that way ever since he was that sweet, geeky boy. That's one reason I fell for him, but I can't put it into words now. He's like a Jensen Ackles and Ian Somerhalder mixed but 10 times hotter. He has the sexy, bad-boy look of Ian and the likability and hotness of Jensen.

"Hey, Mads." He smiles as he looks at both of us, "Hi, Allie."

"Hey, Ev." I say, faking a smile as I wrap my arms around him lightly in a hug. If I'm being honest, I'm sad he's not the one. I wanted it to be him so bad.

"You two are a little dressed up, aren't you?" He asks, looking over our outfits again but taking a little longer as he looks at mine.

"Nah." Madison smiles flirtatiously as she flicks her wrists dismissively, "I'm just taking my best friend out for her birthday!"

Evan looks skeptical and confused. "At one thirty in the morning? Where are you taking her?"

Mattie leans forward and whispers something in his ear. What he said causes him to chuckle. "Oh lord. You're gonna have fun." I could hear something in his tone. Longing? Jealousy? Anger? Sadness? There was an emotion that flashed in his eyes, but he quickly masked it.

Mattie lets out a long sigh,"Well, we should get going. I've got a few more places in mind!" She says, winking at me.

"Why don't you come with Ev?" I say, wanting him close. I want to be near him; his presence always makes me feel better.

"I wish I could, but I can't. I'm tired, and I have work in the morning." He replies with sadness lacing his voice.

I nod, and Evan doesn't hesitate to wrap me up in a tight hug. "Happy Birthday, Allie. Be safe." He whispers, still hugging me as he lays his chin on my shoulder.

I blush, frowning a little as I pull away. I immediately look down at my feet, "Thanks, Evan." Mattie waves goodbye and rushes me down the hallway out of the pack house. We sit in the car for a long minute before Madison starts driving to the next destination.

Mattie pulls up in front of another club with a bright, neon blue sign labeled The Nightcrawler. Next to the sign was a vibrant pink outline of a girl sitting with her hands behind her. I've heard of this club. It's known as one of the places to go when you get the chance. Just like last time, we walked straight past the bouncer. I follow Madison in, and we head straight for the bar. I snicker. How many clubs has she been to? I wonder as I sit in a tall, newer-looking bar chair. The room smells like the last club, but it's mixed with a hint of pine which is odd. We decide to down a few shots of different kinds of alcohol before stumbling out onto the dance floor. Mattie and I dance together during a few songs, screaming our lungs off to the songs we know. A few random guys approach us, and we converse with them. He asks me to dance, and I agree. We move a little bit over and start dancing together, and I am having the best time of my life.

"Wanna get out of here?" He smirks, gripping my body as we sway.

Making up an excuse, I say over the loud music, "I would, but I can't leave my friend." He doesn't say anything, and we go in different directions after the song. I find Madison in the swaying bodies, and we start talking with more people. After flirting with several different guys, Mattie giggles as she walks away with someone. I decide to busy myself and walk around the dance floor, looking for a guy to make out with, knowing I won't go home with anyone, but I deserve to have fun too. I try to scoot by a couple grinding on each other when one of them bumps into me.

I'm already a little tipsy, so this action causes me to fall back against another couple dancing. I quickly turn to face the guy I fell into and stare at his toned back. The girls' hands move up his back as they move in sync. "Sor-" I start to mutter as he turns his attention away from the girl.

His eyes are grey as steel, and they stare into my light blue ones. Once our pupils meet, it feels just like the movies. My heart flutters, and it feels like time stops around us. The swaying bodies move slower, and the music fades. We stare at each other for a good minute before the girl tries to get his attention. She taps his shoulder and tries to pull him back to her, but he doesn't budge. The only thing he is focused on is me.

I look away and mutter, "Sorry." My breath seems to be caught in my throat. That 3 percent I said that wouldn't happen earlier actually did. I met my mate, and now he is standing right in front of me.

He doesn't say anything. He only stares directly at me. I take my time to look him over, and I have a feeling he is doing the same. His hair was messy in a way that looked incredibly sexy on him. He is wearing a fitted black shirt that makes his muscles pop. His lips are full and pink, and his face was absolutely perfect. He was handsome in every way except one.

I was staring at Mason Wood, my mate and also the alpha of Red Moon Pack- my packs enemy. His parents died in a tragic car accident last year, making him the automatic alpha. Mason Wood is my alpha mate.

"Allison." Mason says in a deep, husky voice, sending chills down my spine. Hearing my name come from his lips causes my heart to skip a beat. It has me longing to hear him repeat my name. A specific scent emits from his skin. He smells fresh, like lemon and pine trees. It's a delicious scent I want to wrap myself in.

"Mason." I say, trying not to make my voice sound shaky. I chew on my lip, trying to keep myself composed. My heart is racing so much it might beat out my chest.

"You will not believe what jus-" Madison finally shows up but immediately stops talking as she looks between Mason and me. "What is going on?" Neither Mason nor I say anything. Our eyes are entirely focused on each other.

Madison steps in between Mason and me, so now she has my full attention. "What's going on here?" Madison asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

I lick my dry lips, trying to figure out what to say, "Madison, this is Mas-" She interrupts me Before I can finish my sentence.

"I know who the hell he is. What are you doing with him?" She asks, looking between the both of us with a confused look. A low growl emits from Mason's throat, which causes Madison and I to look at him. Our eyes connect again, and I feel a lump develop in my throat. The club is still going on around us, but I can't seem to focus on anything else but him.

I clear my throat. This time I don't break eye contact with Mason. "Madison, Mason is my mate."

——————————————————————

Follow my Twitter for updates on brand new and newly edited chapters @Faith_H_Stories !