T W E N T Y - F O U R

Start from the beginning

Grumpy: I'm falling apart here

Grumpy: Don't hate me

Grumpy: DAMN IT THEA ANSWER THE PHONE RIGHT NOW

Grumpy: Sorry for the previous text, I just miss you.

Grumpy: Thea?

The last text is from this morning. Like a dam released of its water, my eyes spill the tears that were forming.

Grumpy: I'll leave you alone. I won't bother you again.

I drop the phone onto the table with a loud crash as the waterworks begin. I can hear my mom worriedly asking me what's wrong. As loud as her worried questions are, my thoughts are louder. How could I have been so ignorant of Grayson's feelings that I don't even check my messages. His texts mirror the mood swings I'm sure he's experiencing. Some texts are innocent, some are angry, some are sad, some are sweet. There's many more texts, but I can't read them all without becoming more and more upset with myself.

Grayson never allowed me to be upset when we spent time together, and here I am, making him miserable. What kind of soul mate am I, rejecting him in his time of need? My sniffles eventually let up and I look up to see my mom and Evie looking up at me with sadness.

"Why are you sad, Thee?" Evie asks, clearly puzzled as to what caused my sudden outbreak.

I give her a sad smile. "I just miss Grayson." And that's the truth. I've decided that I'm going to see him tomorrow. I know that if I call or text him now, I won't say the right things and won't be able to properly explain my feelings of regret. My mom looks like she wants to talk about my now-dried tears, but the slight shake of my head tells her that I don't want to talk about it. She respects my wishes and brings up a new topic of conversation.

The once-amazing tastes and smells of dinner taste like bland prison food now. I don't deserve to enjoy it anymore now that I'm sure that Grayson feels as deflated as I do. Once I began reading his text messages, the weight of our distance finally settled in. After my morning classes, I'm going to text Grayson to meet me at Java. Hopefully he still wants to see me. I wouldn't want to see me after ignoring him. I never even gave him a chance to explain. I'm scared of how much he cares about me, but what if he realizes I'm not a good mate and he decides he's better off without me?

The rest of the night is spent with me worrying about Grayson. I thoughtlessly brush my teeth and shower. I don't talk much the rest of the night. Countless scenarios of our conversation tomorrow play through my mind, all of them having to do with Grayson rejecting me and becoming angry with me. As I fall asleep, my last thoughts are of Grayson. For once, they're not happy thoughts- and my dreams reflect that.

~

I'm waiting at a corner table at Java for Grayson. I texted him that I wanted to meet him at noon, and he responded with a simple "K." I don't know if I should be reading into this response or not, so I just focus on the happiness I'll feel when I see him.

I missed him so much in these last few days, and at this point I don't even care that he's a werewolf. I still have a lot of questions about his species and how he knows we're mates, and I know that I'll find out eventually.

The familiar jingle of the front door rings, and I excitedly look up to see Grayson walking in. He has on an indecipherable expression and I'm not quite sure how to interpret it. He's always had only smiles directed towards me, and his lack of emotion is confusing. As he's walking towards me, a loud crash echoes through the cafe. I instinctively duck my head in fear only to look up and see the windows of the shop shattered, hundreds of pieces of glass littering the ground.

My ears are bombarded with a symphony of screams from the other people in the cafe, all of whom are running towards the exits. Some are even jumping through the holes in the wall where the windows used to be. Instead of finding the exit like everyone else, I try to find Grayson. My eyes frantically search the place. I look through the throngs of running people until I see Grayson in the corner with his back to me.

"Grayson!" I scream for him, hoping he can tell me what's going on. Is it a bomb? Something supernatural? I'm blind in all of this, and there's nothing I can do to protect myself so I search out the one person who makes me feel safest.

Grayson hears me, more easily now that all of the people have already escaped. In the moments before he turns around it feels like a hundred years have passed. When he finally does turn around, my focus isn't on the strange blue fog creeping through the cafe or the shattered glass cutting at my feet. My focus is on the huge silver knife resting in Grayson's abdomen.

Blood is dripping from his mouth. The sight is gruesome, and I instantly run over to him, a sobbing mess. He falls to his knees and I'm able to catch him before he falls completely onto the ground. My tears mix with his blood, and I have no idea what to do. Isn't he supposed to have super healing or something?

My hand rests on the knife sticking out of him, and I don't know whether pulling it out will make it worse or better. "Grayson! Oh my god... Grayson can you hear me?" I cry out to him, but all I can see now are his lifeless eyes staring back at me. He's gone.

~

I wake up screaming and covered in a sheen of sweat. However, not all of the dampness is caused from sweat because I also can't seem to stop crying. Was I dreaming or is Grayson really dead? The tears are never-ending, and I know there's only one way to make them stop.

Hope you guys are enjoying the story! Stay tuned for a chapter in Grayson's perspective :)

BTW, the italics means that it's a dream.

Xx alexia