Chapter 9

"This place is nice." Kenny says as Toni lead him into the lounge.

The entire scenery gave a candlelight ambiance. Afro art along the walls, a beautiful crystal chandelier giving a dim light to the tables, and a stage in front where they heard shuffling before a man with long locs got on with a piece of paper in hand.

"Oh they're doing poetry night, come on." Toni said excitedly hurrying towards a table near the front.

They sat down just as the man began to speak. His poem about the beauty of a black woman turned into background noise as Kenny took in his date who was clinging to the man's every word.

Her black bandanna top held together by one knot she tied herself. Her black maxi skirt with two slits so high when she crossed her legs the fabric looked to nearly disappear. She rolled her ankle in the strappy sandal heel and flipped her shoulder length auburn red curls before she felt his eyes.

"What are you looking at silly?" She asked.

Realizing he'd been caught, he chuckled, "You look really beautiful tonight."

"Thank you." She said unable to hide her blush.

Their focus returned to the poet on stage. When he finished, he took a small bow.

"That was nice." Kenny said raising his hands to clap.

Toni quickly grabbed his hand, "No. Snaps." She said showing him. He snapped awkwardly making her laugh.

When the poetry slam was over the stage lights went off, the music came back on and everything went back to normal. Toni and Kenny read through the menu.

"They have the best wings here." Toni said.

"Wings?" Kenny asked raising a brow.

"You could look less disgusted. I'm sorry they don't serve caviar here." She joked.

"It's not that. I just never had them."

She gasped, "What?! You're missing out!"

The waitress came by and Toni ordered for them. When the food came back, they dug in. Toni watched Kenny waiting for a verdict.

"So?" She asked.

"Phenomenal. Is it always this good?"

She chuckled, "It is here."

They ate and talked. For the first time she didn't even think about the sad things she was going through. She sipped her lemonade as Kenny cleaned his hands glancing at the moving bodies on the dance floor.

"You wanna dance?" He asked.

She shyly shook her head, "I don't think so..."

"Come on. I'm trying to get the full experience."

Pulling away from her lemonade, she looked at the crowd of people on the dance floor and back at Kenny. She let out a sigh.

"Fine."

He took another sip of his beer as he stood up and reached for her hand. She took it standing up and letting him lead her to the dance floor. As soon as they got there he spun her around making her chuckle before their bodies moved closer together.